Connect with us

What are these basic components?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by juntjoo, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. juntjoo

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Never mind what I'm doing here: I'm not even sure, but I would like to at least know what I'm looking at and you'll notice these two bulbs along both separate cables. The first one is at the end of a laptop power adapter. It already has it's transformer at the wall connection like most standard power adapters. The second one is attached to an external laptop batter charger, which also has it's own separate transformer, which I lost, hence this Frankenstein project.

So... I've ended up with two of these weird bulb'ish components which I'm wondering is the cause of my slow -as-molasses charging.

Anyone know what these are? Thanks.

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    The "bulb" at the left is a ferrite to block HF common mode ínterference. You see this type commonly on charger cables, laptop power supplies, monitor power cables etc. This ferrite is definitely not the source of slow charging.

The box at the right I cannot identify. Show us a close-up from all sides.

Slow charging is commonly caused by one of two causes:
    • The power source has not enough power (output current)
    • The device to be charged requires some kind of identification (often a defined resistance) to allow drawing a higher charging current than usually possible. This latter method is often used in combination with USB charger ports.Without proper identification the device to be charged will draw only the max. specified current and take longer to charge.

Regards,
    Harald

3. juntjoo

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
    Thanks Harold. http://www.amazon.com/External-batt...ry/dp/B00FIJZAU8#immersive-view_1454189197895

Hope that helps. Both charging cables are designed to charge the same battery, but one is directly, the other through the computer. So if I had the original transformer for the external charger that would work perfect, otherwise obviously charging the battery through the computer with just the laptop power adapter also would charge perfectly, which it does but I'm trying to have a two charged batteries setup for long distance computing. Planning on getting a third battery if I can't get these batteries to charge externally faster than 11 hrs lol.

4. juntjoo

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
    There is no other indicators on that component to make use of a closer-up view of it unfortunately.

5. juntjoo

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
    If we can assume the original laptop power adapter has the correct settings should I just splice it directly to battery right at the external cable's connector pins before that bulb? Or does not the laptop power adapter connect to the battery directly through the laptop but go through other important circuitry?

6. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Since I don't know what's inside the black box spliced into the cable near the battery pack, I cannot give clear advice, I'm sorry.

7. juntjoo

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
    Well thanks anyway. I'll report back if I decide to open it up. Can ya narrow it down to a couple possibilities?

8. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    I recommend you use the cables as intended. Lithium batteries are dangerous stuff when treated improperly.

9. juntjoo

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
    Alright. Thanks Harold

10. juntjoo

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
    Harold! It says "MPU" in it. Missed that earlier. What does that mean? I want to cut it out to hopefully free up some current/voltage to get this to charge faster. Unless you think that means something important like micro processing unit ... Could it? I've read laptop battery charging and the batteries themselves are complicated. That the batteries have computers in them themselves. What do you think?

11. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    This is not likely to happen

you have already been told that the one on the left is a ferrite choke for noise suppression
    removing it isn't going to affect V or A supply

The one on the right looks like some adaption for the cable between 2 different connectors
    there may also be a ferrite choke in there ...
    removing that section is again unlikely to have any effect

The charging rate for the battery is set by components internal to the laptop
    There wont be anything you can do about it

Dave

Harald Kapp likes this.
  12. juntjoo

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
    Yeah, the "other one", not this one, hence my persistence. Don't suppose you have any idea what MPU stands for do y'a?

13. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    what "other one" ? what "not this one" ?

You are making this so difficult !

MPU - who knows ? ... it could be as you suggested or it may be a manufacturer's name

14. juntjoo

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
    You reprimanded me for not paying attention when I was already told about the one on the left, which I pointed out want the one on the right, which is... Never mind. Anyway. You've left me no choice but to put it under the knife. TBC...

15. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    OK we will close this thread

you can start another one at some later date if you have success to report :)

Ask a Question