Connect with us

What are these 10$ Logic Analyzers on the Ebay ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Ehsan, Jun 23, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ehsan

Ehsan

Jun 12, 2014
    I need to purchase a logic analyzer, and I read tons of reviews already about different types and models out there.

I don't want to open a discussion on logic analyzer comparison, as one can find plenty of information about them online.

I am only wondering about the quality of this 10$ devices like this one :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Logic-A...494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c7084bbe

Do they really work ? (By working I mean just to see the data on LCD pins connected to microcontrollers or just probing some logic ICs), and where can I get my hands on the software?

I like to hear about your personal experience with these cheapies...

Best regards,
    Esi.

2. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
  3. Ehsan

Ehsan

Jun 12, 2014
    Oh damn, they don't mention this in their product's detail. That's why it is cheap then.

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Oliver,

What do you mean by not being real-time? A logic analyzer is not real-time by definition, is it not? They work by capturing data over a certain period of time, then allowing you to browse the results at your leisure.

Bob

5. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
    Bob, I mean just like a scope, where you can see signals when probed. I have used such a function with a digital scope. Maybe not the usual way of working for a logic analyzer but what I love to have.

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Okay, I understand.

Bob

7. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The first device listed in this thread is 8 channel i believe. It is a copy of a commercial product the name of which I can't remember. You'll find the software gives it away. Amusingly (or not) the device is actually identical to a development board. The only difference is the layout and (maybe) the eeprom and/or some data stored on it.

The real device and it's software were reviewed by Dave on eevblog and he wasn't too impressed. In this case I don't agree with him. The interface is a little quirky, but the software is powerful and can decide a significant number of protocols.

The real limitation is the test probes. Being on the end of ribbon cable what can you expect? But decent probes would set you back more than the unit.

8. Ehsan

Ehsan

Jun 12, 2014
    I guess Steve is talking about Saleae 8 channel 24Mhz logic analyzer it's 150$.

9. pyromaniac4382

pyromaniac4382

Feb 7, 2013
    I have a version of the above 34CH 125MHz PC USB Logic Analyzer. It works O.K., but the software is terrible, and I have no idea when I would ever use 34 channels...

8 channels seems more reasonable.

The Saleae seems to use the same Cypress CY7C68013A, which may mean that the Saleae software could work with the knock-off. I have also heard that the Saleae software was updated to detect knock-offs so buyer beware if you were banking on using the pretty software.

Ehsan likes this.
  10. Ehsan

Ehsan

Jun 12, 2014
    Just to update: I ordered one of those from Ebay and It works like charm ! It does not show the data in real time, you have to set the sample quality and then press START, it will run and take samples and then you can see what was on the channels and debug later on.

I am amazed by the good performance and really cheap price.

I suggest the students and the hobbyist to get one.

11. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
    In the meantime i have ordered the 4 channels logic analyzer here under:
    http://www.ikalogic.com/ikalogic-products/scanalogic-2/
    4 channels is somewhat limited to serial bus analyze but the software is very user friendly , many protocol decoding are included too and the module can replay the recorded data on is outputs!
    Is not super cheap (50€) but still affordable.
    On the hardware side the design is very smart with a serial SRAM on each channel clocked by an AVR micro. So signal are connected on SRAM MOSI when recorded and send from MISO when replayed.
    http://www.ikalogic.com/category/knowledge-base/micro-controllers/ (educational version)
    I must admit that this kind of tool is very handy !

12. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    So you got one of the $10 ones?

13. Ehsan

Ehsan

Jun 12, 2014
    Yes. The only thing is that there was no software provided with it, then I searched online and I realized that I should download the official software for original Saleae logic analyzer, and it worked !

So right now I have a device purchased for 10$ which has the same performance as Saleae 150$ logic analyzer !

Ask a Question