Connect with us

What are the most used electronic components?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by trekkiejonny, Apr 26, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. trekkiejonny

trekkiejonny

Apr 26, 2013
    I have recently been getting more and more into hobby electronics. I believe that I would one day like to make a career out of this. There is an electronics surplus store that I get components from but unfortunately it is a 2 hour drive away. At this place the components are very cheap, like pennies for 10, and there are just so many shelves full of trays with what looks like everything I could ever want.

My questions is, what components are the most used? What should I stock up on?

What ranges of Capacitors, Resistors, Diodes, and Inductors would I be using the most starting out in electronics?

Are there any other components I should get while am at it? ICs, Transistors, Relays, Motors, etc? I want to get into Radio and Robotics once I get a grasp on the basics.

Thanks for any and all help

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    A lot depends on what you want to do.

If they have a pack of assorted resistors and another of capacitors, figure out how you value your time and then how many trips it would take to repay that.

But remember that you'll probably have to travel there to get other components, so you won't necessarily save that many trips...

Perhaps look at some circuits you want to build and see what common components are used. Perhaps you can get a pack of transistors (say BC548's or 2N2222's etc.) that are pretty commonly used.

3. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    As steve said you have to weigh the cost vs the time/gas to get there, also buying in bulk is usually worth it. Say from Digikey you could get 10 of a resistor for $2 but you could get 100 for $2.50 even if you only need a couple from that 100 right now, IF you need more than 10 in the long run (and chances are for standard resistors you will need more) you have basically saved money, my father has THOUSANDS of components stocked up from needs over the years, some he has only used a couple of, but of all the components he has left they owe him NOTHING, they have all paid for themselves 5 times over.

Price check online sites first before making the trek so you dont get ripped off either

4. Brian Ski

Brian Ski

Apr 19, 2013
    Not quite what you are wanting to hear... I have used http://www.digikey.com/ for many years. Long before the internet. Their prices are pretty cheap, they have a small min order, shipping was pretty good. I know it is not a run down and pick it up place, but you can have 100s of dollars in parts are still need that "one" item. They have always had high quality components for me.

Here is resistor assortments.
    http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/kits/passive-kits-resistors/2490615?k=resistor assortment

Here is a kit. Not sure if they are just giving you a baggy of several hundred.
    http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dkse...newproducts=0&ptm=0&fid=0&quantity=0&PV223=11

The pages will at least give you something to look at.

Problem is with capacitors there are so many different sizes and case styles, unless you get boxes of them you may always need a different size.

5. Keng

Keng

Apr 12, 2013
    I have using ebay for years, I am in venezuela and it is a lot of cheap buy 1000 pieces and wait the shippment from china that buy a few pieces localy, some deals that I find in ebay:

4000 2n3904 40$ shipped
    1000 cap 25v 47uf less than 10$ shipped
    1000 res 9$ or less shipped
    A lot of smd res for almost nothing

I will recomend you make a small list and buy online and wait for it...

Good luck

6. trekkiejonny

trekkiejonny

Apr 26, 2013
    Some great replies thus far, my thanks. I have the makings of a good list to bring with me.

I should also add that the store is closing and its having a 20-80% off liquidation sale. Found this out after writing my initial post. Seems like the gods wish me to be an engineer :D, either that or random chance is on my side for a change. Will be going up Tomorrow and again a few days after.

Ask a Question