Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What are EEPROM chips used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willwatts

Nov 15, 2014
EPROM Chips are used for what? to load the bootloader file on to an EPROM chip
What files are mostly on EPROM chips? a bootloader hex file? or what would you burn or load onto EEPROM chips?
Circuits in the 70's and 80's use to have EEPROM chips, why don't they use EEPROM chips anymore?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
EPROM Chips are used for what? to load the bootloader file on to an EPROM chip
What files are mostly on EPROM chips? a bootloader hex file? or what would you burn or load onto EEPROM chips?
Circuits in the 70's and 80's use to have EEPROM chips, why don't they use EEPROM chips anymore?
Let me first ask you if you know what an EEPROM chip is before you ask what it is used for.

Edit: I'm going to try to give you the smallest amount of information possible by helping to encourage you to find your own answer. Once you tell me what is is, we can move from there ;)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yes, this question is far too broad and I would encourage Danny to edit his question to give it more focus. If he doesn't, the thread risks being closed early...

I concur with Gryd3 that Willy also needs to demonstrate that he actually knows what an EEPROM is.

willwatts

Nov 15, 2014
When programming an EEPROM chip, is this called flashing? or burning?

What is mostly in EEPROM files? just binary code ? hex file code?

What have you guys seen EEPROM chips used for?

what would the files have on them to download onto an EEPROM chip?

I'm sure you have seen many circuits that use EEPROM chips, what files do you think were on an EEPROM chip?

What did the files have on them you think? just to store memory data or pre-stored memory data?

Does this help make it clear?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Let me start by saying you irritated me by ignoring my request.
Explaining how to use EEPROM to you, if you don't know what it is is going to be a waste of time.
I will be short and to the point, and anything missing can be googled. If you wan't more details, show my some evidence that you understand without doing a simple copy/paste from another website.

EEPROM is a type of non-volatile memory.

When programming an EEPROM chip, is this called flashing? or burning?
Pick your poison, flashing, burning, writing, the end result is that you now have data on the chip.
What is mostly in EEPROM files? just binary code ? hex file code?
This shows that you have no idea what EEPROM is... but I can tell you a lot of the EEPROM currently in my home currently store a file system and a few binary files. as well as some text and audio.
What have you guys seen EEPROM chips used for?
Numerous applications that require non-volatile memory
what would the files have on them to download onto an EEPROM chip?
This makes no sense... why would a file need to have something on or in it to be stored on EEPROM?
I'm sure you have seen many circuits that use EEPROM chips, what files do you think were on an EEPROM chip?
Binary, Hex, Text, Audio, Video, etc... depends what it is used for.
What did the files have on them you think? just to store memory data or pre-stored memory data?
Please explain what memory data or pre-stored memory data is... ?
Does this help make it clear?
Not really... you just asked some more odd questions that show a lack of required knowlege.
You should not be asking about such complex items if you do not understand the basics.

If you ignore any of the questions I have posted, I will take that as a sign that you do not read the replies, and I will no longer reply to you.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Willy, if you fail to answer the questions asked of you then I will close this thread.

You have 1 more chance. There will be no more warnings.

This is your question:

Willy, what is an EEPROM?

(after you have addressed this, you may answer the questions posed by Gryd3, but ASK NONE OF YOUR OWN until we are satisfied that you know enough to make sense of the answer).

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Danny,
if you don't answer the question that has previously be asked twice
before you continue with more questions, I will lock the thread

so here for a 3rd time ...
DO YOU KNOW WHAT AN EEPROM IS ?

What do the letters EEPROM stand for ?

Dave

willwatts

Nov 15, 2014
DO YOU KNOW WHAT AN EEPROM IS ?

non-volatile memory, EEPROM is just memory Locations

What do the letters EEPROM stand for ?

Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory

This makes no sense... why would a file need to have something on or in it to be stored on EEPROM?

Because it would be just random code, files, data on the EEPROM

Please explain what memory data or pre-stored memory data is... ?

ROM, Pre-stored, means the data,files, code was stored in the EEPROM
RAM Non-pre stored, means the data or files is stored in memory for a short time for the Microcontroller to do a calculation

EEPROM is not RAM , it's ROM you can only pre store data, files, code . The uC can only fetch it and read it

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
EEPROM is not RAM , it's ROM you can only pre store data, files, code . The uC can only fetch it and read it

Wrong.

Google EEPROM. Then answer the question again.

profbuxton

Nov 22, 2014
The most amusing poster on any forum! I have seen his posts on a number of forums and always with the same level of ignorant disregard for any effort to understand replies to his queries. I expect it is pointless to try to answer his queries in any logical or informative manner as these are totally ignored and any effort to find out his knowledge level is ignored.
But its fun to read his inane queries and see who bites.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there profbuxton

did you read his signature specially done by the mods ? ;)

willwatts

Nov 15, 2014
What else are EEPROM used for?
1.) To store information
2.) Data saved when power is removed
3.) store data Calibration tables
4.) Store Device Configurations
5.) What else add to the list?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You have failed to heed my warning