Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What a battery charger looks like

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
This is the component board, un-soldered of course.
I always prefit my boards to make sure the components will all place correctly..

I wasn't taught how to properly position my components other than the serial ones are supposed to go one way and the parrallel components are supposed to go the other way.

In this case I wasnt picky.. its kind of cramped, and I am thinking it might be a good idea to space a few of the components out a bit...
A low voltage drop solar panel controller to charge my 12v source for my solar greenhouse!!!

IMG_20180626_155104140.jpg

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I agree. Might be nice to give that transistor some more room so it doesn't accidentally short across the anode of that diode, or better yet add a heat sink to it. You might alternatively insert the big diode so it mounts up/down solidly (seated all the way in the hole) instead of across the board.

Of course there's many ways to skin a cat.

Good job though.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Many people make the mistake of using the 'smallest piece of stripboard they can get away with' when first using the stuff. It's not really that expensive so try to use as large a piece as you can fit in the casing (or even use a bigger case).

This way you will find it easier to rework the board (in case of any problems) and also leave space to add small sticky labels to identify off board connections etc.

Just as 'coders' are encouraged to add comments to each line, constructors must be able to 'read' the work they've created - as your layout currently exists it would be difficult to establish the HOW as well as the WHY, should things go wrong.

There is also a piece of software that allow you to lay out stripboard: just Google 'stripboard design software' and take your pick!

Chemelec

Jul 12, 2016
Might be Good to add a Heat Sink to that Power Transistor or Mosfet.