Maker Pro
Maker Pro

what 1/4" jacks to use?

docb

Feb 11, 2010
I'm looking for 1/4" jacks that are very common so I can get from Mouser/Digikey and expect to be able to get for some time.

An Eagle footprint would be a nice plus!
Suggestions?

(Same with DC power jacks..)

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I don't use Eagle but it should specify the part in the footprint, if not a quick look at the datasheet will confirm if it fits that footprint or not...

I don't even bother trying to find a footprint match any longer, I just make my own footprints, as it only takes me a few minutes to do so and I know it will fit... Doing this also allow me to make a 'universal' footprint that can possibly be used for multiple footprint devices (trust me it sucks when you need a specific device and everyone is out of stock, the flexibility of a universal footprint saves a lot of stress) or slight variances from manufacture to manufacture... Also due to most PC board manufactures charging extra for 'slits' that many of these jacks use, I have found doing my own footprint and simply using a large single drill saves me money if the footprint affords the change...

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Here is a quick example of what I mean by eliminating slits...

This mono phono jack normally has a three slit footprint, but I just made a new one that uses single large holes... This works OK for hand soldering, but might cause issues on a wave table, or it might not... But, in either case it generally reduces the board cost...

Attachments

• no_slits.jpg
    no_slits.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 106

docb

Feb 11, 2010
Here is a quick example of what I mean by eliminating slits...

This mono phono jack normally has a three slit footprint, but I just made a new one that uses single large holes... This works OK for hand soldering, but might cause issues on a wave table, or it might not... But, in either case it generally reduces the board cost...

I can make an Eagle fp if need be, but I'm mostly looking for common standard 1/4" jacks.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Common and standard are loaded questions ;)

From my experience the most common and standard 1/4" jacks are panel mounted, I just glanced at Mouser and Digikey you choice of PCB mounted isn't exactly plentiful :)