Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Weller EC2001 - looking for variable heat control

northern1

Oct 9, 2012
Hi. I've searched most of the weller solder station repair posts.
My unit is a tad bit old and sat for quite a while.

Looking for a replacement variable heat control pot, or the correct R value for it. If anyone has any info would really appreciate it. Numbers on it are R405 - R1379126. Hoping that I will not have to replace the whole control board.
It is very irratic, and hard to turn. Worn out. Everything else looks ok.

My unit numbers:
Iron EC1201A
Ec2000c Power Supply on bottom of unit, EC2001 on front - not sure of the board number, but has the read/set switch.
thanks so much.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The general procedure would be to take the pot out of circuit and measure the resistance of it.

I would then measure the resistance from wiper to one end as I turn the pot using a real analogue meter. This will show you if the pot is intermittent.

If it is the pot, then your challenge is to find something physically compatible. I don't know what it looks like, so I can't comment on how easy or hard that might be.

northern1

Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the replies . Sorry, I was away.
As Steve mentions aboved, I had checked it, appears to be 10K, but intermittant at some points, and at each end.
Yup, may be hard to find as the shaft is very thin in diameter. Will have another look at it in the next day or so to see what it is, and "if" I can try contact cleaner on it or not.