Connect with us

Way to detect the motions of fingers

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by dushancc, Jul 27, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. dushancc

dushancc

Jul 27, 2012
    For a my school project I need to monitor the movement of fingers in a hand using a electronic device( not a camera using image processing). It must be something electronical. Anyone know about a device which can use to detect even the curveness of the fingers? If you know please help me.

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    You need to define the application better... There are lots of options, from the simple mercury switches to impact and motion sensor ICs... Capacitive sensors, resistive sensors, photo sensors or other mechanical sensors like springs and pistons...

3. dushancc

dushancc

Jul 27, 2012
    I need to monitor the movement of fingers and send them to my PC and analyze them. For this I want something electronical to get the data about fingers like size of the curve etc.. Can you help me.

ex. If you bend your thumb the sensor will sen it to the PC

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    What kind of movement? Left, Right? Up, Down? First joint, Second joint? What degree of movement...

That is different from detecting movement, and sometimes beggars can't be choosers, you will have to work with what you can afford and what you can realistically get working...

I can try to guide you, but it's your homework not mine...

How many fingers are you monitoring? How should this data be organized?

5. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    one cheap option is to have a wrist strap and something like thimbles on your fingers. Connect them with something that changes conductivity when stretched. This should connect to the thimble and the wrist strap and go over the top of your finger. When you bend your finger down, it will register a change of resistance.

What you then do with this is another problem.

7. dushancc

dushancc

Jul 27, 2012
    Thank you very much. This was the thing that I was searching for. Do anyone know how to make a data glove for cheap with more accurate outputs.

8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    cheap and more accurate dont belong in the same sentance
    you can have cheap or more accurate not both
    cheap will most likely = much less accuracy
    more accurate = more expensive

Dave

9. dushancc

dushancc

Jul 27, 2012
    I don't need very very accrurate data. I just need a good tutorial on how to make a data glove which has a reasonable accuracy. Do anyone know a website on this data gloves.

10. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    If it's a school project you should be developing it yourself not copying someone elses design by following their tutorial... You have been given multiple suggestions, it's time for you to pick a route and go with it...

11. dushancc

dushancc

Jul 27, 2012
    Actually I have to develop a software with it. I can use any hardware for it. Anyway thank all of you for the help

Ask a Question