Connect with us

Waterproofing Ultrasonic Sensor?

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by jeff77789, Mar 21, 2013.

1. jeff77789

jeff77789

Feb 23, 2013
    I want to use the Maxbotix MB1030 ultrasonic sensor and i want to design a housing for it.

the problem is, i dont know what type of material ultrasonic waves can pass through while still protecting the sensor from water

some people described a foam but pictures are not available anymore

any suggestions?

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Get some speaker fabric and spray it with something like 3M Scotchgard water repellent... The water repellent will cause the water to bead up and won't allow it to pass easily, but beware this is not water PROOF just water resistant... The speaker fabric should allow most of the ultrasonic waves to pass with little attenuation...

3. sirch

sirch

Dec 6, 2012
    You can get ultrasonic sensors in a can - e.g.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Sealed-Ultrasonic-Transducer-Tx-35-0182

I used sanitory silicon to stick these on to a housing, which worked fine until I tried to get them off at which point the can popped off leaving the backing well and truly stuck (I guess the can base likes silicon!).

Just make sure that the capacitance of the transducer is suitable for the drive circuit or you won't get the range.

4. Nilesh579

Nilesh579

Jun 3, 2019
    That was a amazing info

5. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    @Nilesh579: And this is an amazingly old thread from March 21, 2013.

Ask a Question