Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Water detection cable

Cthulhu

Feb 2, 2016
Has anyone ever used a water detection cable? I am trying to unserstand how it works, in order to eventually use it with an Arduino.

If you google for images of "water detection cable", you will see what I mean. For now, I am trying with the cable from a honeywell water leak alarm. The cable has a telephone connector, making it easy to test with, and so it has 4 wires.

honeywell-rwd41t-water-defense-leak-sensing-alarm.jpg

When connected to the alarm, a little bit of water on the cable sets the alarm off. Just like I will want my Arduino to react and do some bit of code when it detects that the cable is wet.

So I am trying to find out how to get a reading from the cable with a multimetre. I supposed that the wires are 2 pairs, and when the cable is wet it would close those circuits and I should read a resistance. But I test every pair or wires and I just dont't get any reading.

I searched for more info on how these water detection cables work, but I can't find anything more than "connect the cable into our gadget".

Also, I am still quite new to notions of electricity in general, but I know enough to make basic circuits.

Thanks for any help!!