Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Warm Buttery LED light?

Raul

Sep 25, 2012
Any one know how to use surface mount LEDs to get the warm buttery light one thinks of from incandescent bulbs?

I have been contemplating building some LED light panels into the boxed beams in my romper-room so that if I wanted to eat a meal while watching the tube or just relax to music, I could without the light being harsh or ugly the way most commercially available LEDS are.

Is there a bulb type or a combination? I'm thinking low power since all I want is a soft light.
No Leuxon or Cree rocket ship engines

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
They are called warm white LEDs... The color is near identical to incandescent...

The most like incandescent bulb LEDs I have found (that is without modification or additional lenses) is the 'straw hat' warm white 5mm (or 8mm) LEDs these are real close to looking like a small incandescent, they even have the 'hot' center glow of incandescent bulbs if you mount them behind a tinted lens... Like any LED they are still more directional than a bulb but the straw hat design really does a nice job of diffusion and the color is as you would expect from a bulb...

Do a Google search for 'straw hat 5mm warm white' or 'straw hat 8mm warm white'