Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wanting some help/ advice on a mini greenhouse

dbyrd26

Sep 16, 2013
I am currently drawing up ideas for a mini greenhouse. I have the main idea, now I'm trying to figure out how to do certain things. For example, I am trying to have an exhaust fan turn on if the humidity reaches a certain point. I have found plenty of fans with temp sensors but nothing with a humidity sensor. So I'm thinking I'll have to get a humidity sensor but then lies the question of how to connect it to the fan and whatnot. I'm guessing I'll have to use a microcontroller such as arduino but I REALLY would prefer not to. If someone has some input it would be greatly appreciated.

I found this but do not know how to use it... http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TDK/CHS-MSS/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvoGNntvmgYkNgpPLv4Ct6bXs8bnX0OFCU=

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It all depends on how the sensor works.

Typically you might wire up a comparator so that the output switches at a certain humidity. You need to add some hysteresis so the fan isn't continually turning on and off.

It might end up simpler to use a microcontroller assuming you can write the required program.

dbyrd26

Sep 16, 2013
Writing the program is the part that gets me haha. I'm still somewhat new to electronics. I've been doing it for about 6 months now and know basics and a little deeper but when it comes to sensors and ICs etc. I get a little lost.

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Hi,

As stated by Steve a microntroller is almost a must for your project.
The DHT11 is a popular and cheap humidity sensor (don't seems as precise as advertised by the way). You can handled your project with an Arduino board and C language via the free Arduino IDE, the community is HUGE.

I you are more comfortable with basic language you can go for the reasonably priced Bascom (and still use an Arduino board). There is a (to be simplified) Bascom green house application note here:

http://www.mcselec.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=77&Itemid=57

Olivier

Electric Al

Jan 16, 2014
Check out Honeywell Controls.

They make wall mounted Humidistats . Used in greenhouses etc .