Connect with us

wanting a solution to cockpit noise

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Manyacarb, Feb 27, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Manyacarb

Manyacarb

Jul 30, 2009
    I am looking for some kind of [preamp] design that could improve the audio quality , especially in piston powered airplane cockpits where noise is an issue

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I'bve creates a new thread from your original post (here).

The normal answer is noise cancelling mic and/or headset.

Is there any reason you can't use them?

3. Manyacarb

Manyacarb

Jul 30, 2009
    All right

I fly light twin piston powered aircrafts and small corporate jets. I have a David Clark headset with an active noise cancelling device that I added like 15 years ago. The active noise cancel modules help a lot to decrease all the noise that we have in the cockpit and reduces the fatigue in the ears. But the problem is that in most of the piston powered airplanes the noise level is very high and that radiates thru the microphone.

I have seen that some commercial branded headsets (Bose, Lightspeed and others) on top of the active noise circuit they have some kind of microphone compression circuit that decreases the amount of noise radiated thru the mic that goes to the transmitter (on the air)

That is basically what I am trying to figure out. A circuit with easy to find parts that could help me on this. I tried some tone control circuits with a couple of op amp , and a noise cancelling circuit with 2 electrets, but they didn't work. I like to have a good quality audio out especially when we are far away from the ATC facility.
    I have posted this issue on some other sites and asked some avionics technicians, but nobody was interested and some answers were just "....buy a $1000 Bose and that is it".

So if anyone has any idea on this issue I will really appreciate it

Thanks a lot

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    If a simple circuit would do the job, the commercial versions would not be $1000. I suspect that you need a DSP and some pretty complex code to do anything good.

Bob

Ask a Question