Connect with us

Want to get into electronics

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Kieran, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Kieran

Kieran

Oct 8, 2012
    Greetings, so i would like to get into electronics, specifically microcontrollers, and would like some help starting off
    first off, my background:
    i've done all the usual electronics kits that some of us have done as a kid, the blinker, light alarm etc, i've also worked with programming languages like assembly, and c/c++, so i hope i have at least a slight advantage on how to logically put these things together
    so i would like to put together somewhat of a shopping list to have some fun with
    i've also used simulators of assembly based microcontrollers with success

my thoughts were to buy a kit containing a bunch of components, the one i was looking at was

which sells for $25 in my country, would also buy this along with some solid core wire, a pickit 3 (approx $60) or a pickit 2 ($50, and i hear this one is no longer supported), and buy it along with maybe a few extra components such as, maybe a few extra PIC controllers, and LED's ( the seller is willing to add things as wanted )
    i also have an old-- somewhat carbonised soldering iron which i might be able to use, however i would like to eventually get a new one to build more permenant projects with
    anyway, i have a few questions
    *is the pickit all i need to program a PIC , i've seen people on youtube who've made their own boards to plug the pickit into to program their controllers with
    *what can i use as a plug-in power source, i was hoping i could butcher an old ~6v wall adapter for now, and if i get more into electronics, where i need a more variable supply i could buy a adjustable power supply
    * and, can anyone recommend anything else i should buy to have fun with, components, kits etc
    *what should i look for in a new soldering iron? i see some selling for about $15, with no temperature control, stand or... those sponge things, and i see some more expencive at $50 and over that have a stand, temperature control and cleaning sponge

please note i also live in australia, there really arent that many kits avaliable on ebay around here, and thanks for reading.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    motors are always fun to add. then as you advance you can use a microcontroller to input text onto a screen... actually the list is very extensive of what you could do. the thing is what do you want to do?

Ask a Question