Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Want to amplify voltage ? help please..

yusuf.businessmen

Dec 29, 2010
I have a the following specification friends :

voltage : 6v
current : 2A

Friends I want to convert this voltage(6v) to 100 volts , how can i accomplish this task...
please friend help..

thanks in advanced...

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Is it AC or DC (I presume DC).

You should probably google "boost smps" and see if you find something useful.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
*steve*'s right.
It helps if you specify AC or DC (for input and outputs).
Transformers will do it for AC in, and AC out.
Inverter for DC in, and AC out.
Some kind of DC/DC converter for DC in, and DC out.

yusuf.businessmen

Dec 29, 2010
sorry my question was wrong little bit ? sorry for inconvince..
my question is i have 6volt and 2amp ? and i want to convert to 110 volt 1.5amp AC ?
how can do this ? pls help...

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
6V * 2A = 12W whereas 110V * 1.5A = 165W; so it can't be done - the way you explain & the way we understand it. Perhaps you may try to clarify the issue a little more?

yusuf.businessmen

Dec 29, 2010
So can this be accomplish with these :

voltage : 6v
current : 2A

I want to convert this voltage(6v) to 100 volts 1A ...

thanks in advanced...

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
I believe you are trying to break a fundamental law of physics regarding the conservation of energy. Although it is not a crime to break the laws of physics, trying to do so ought to be. The simple fact is that you cannot get more energy out of a process than you put into it. When you put 12 watts of power (6 volts x 2 amps) into a conversion you are not going to get 100 watts of power (100 volts x 1 amp) out. In fact you will get considerably less than 12 watts out because no conversion works with 100% efficiency, there are always power losses.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I believe you are trying to break a fundamental law of physics regarding the conservation of energy. Although it is not a crime to break the laws of physics, trying to do so ought to be.

It is pointless making it criminal to break laws of physics. (Hence my occasional sig)

However I am more inclined to think that "attempted" or "conspiracy to" should be treated with education rather than punishment. ;)

Last edited:

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
@ Steve: To answer the question posed in your sig ..... It seems sometimes that government, specifically the politicians in government, exhibit wishful thinking that they can break the laws of physics with the same ease that they break (ignore) the laws of economics. Also, being basically optimistic, I would ask why education can't be punishment?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I prefer to think of education as a reward.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Some people certainly do behave as if communication, education, & understanding are all non-existent (or to be kept at a bare minimum)... ;)
Governments only care about money & power..

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
I think the starter of the thread thinks that amplifiers are energy adding devices instead of interpreting them as an energy conversion device , therein lies the problem :rolleyes:

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
@barathbushan: "....thinks that amplifiers are energy adding devices...."

The fact is that amplifiers are energy adding devices. That is why amplifiers need a separate power supply to provide the additional energy. The problem with the original poster is that he described a power converter but wished it worked like an amplifier.

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
i meant energy adding in the sense false assumption that the amplifier is adding it's own energy , in other words making energy out of no where (Ghost energy) , and amplifiers don't just add energy , there is some conversion in the process , for example a transistor amplifier is fed DC energy at its collector (Vcc) , but a small varying signal is fed at its base (small AC) , the amplifier just doesn't add the DC to the small signal , if it does so then it is known as clamping not amplification

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
@barathbushan: "....and amplifiers don't just add energy...."

Since you use the example of the input being a (small AC) signal, it would be reasonable to expect that the amplifier input and output are both AC coupled. So you would see a small AC signal going in, and a big AC signal coming out of the amplifier. Does a big AC signal have more energy than a small AC signal? Considering that the input impedance is usually larger than the output impedance, has the amplifier added energy to the signal? If not, then what happened?

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
Does a big AC signal have more energy than a small AC signal?
Yes , since power is directly proportional to voltage , an increase in voltage is definitely an increase in power , and its specified in terms of Gain ratio , and big AC means more pk to pk voltage , so definitely there's a gain

Considering that the input impedance is usually larger than the output impedance, has the amplifier added energy to the signal? If not, then what happened?
Sorry i can't understand what this means , but i can tell you certainly that the process of amplification is nothing more than adding DC energy to the applied signal , and yes the DC signal also acts as a biasing method for the transistors

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Ok, I think that's enough, let's not nitpick those definitions any further. I figure you both understand the basic workings of amplifiers regardless of terminology.
On the other hand - having offended/scared him away - we'll likely never know what the o/p actually meant; maybe he was referring to a 6V 2Ah battery for all we know.