Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Want some valves (tubes)?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'm not associated with this company other than being a satisfied customer.

Probably of most interest to Australians, these guys clear out a lot of interesting components for low prices.

Currently their "specials" include some very cheap valves (tubes).

http://www.rockby.com.au

I always think... Maybe I should build a valve circuit, if just for the experience. Sockets are a problem though. Where to get them? (Any alternatives? Wire wrap perhaps?)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Have delt with Rockby often in years gone bye
they are a great place for surplus parts sales

Dave

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
What valves are you referring to?

Most audio frequency (4-9pin) sockets are cheap and can be had almost anywhere online for between $1-3USD a pop.

Now, if you're going for the big guns, I recommend the 4CX10000D. 10kW continuous plate dissipation. Get two; I hear they're good for stereo amplifiers.

img002.jpg

7.5" (18.75cm) wide. Hi-Fi is for wusses.

On a serious note, however, I wouldn't wirewrap the terminals unless you're terminating the prong wires in a terminal block. Audio-frequency tubes (especially those used in current manufacture guitar amplifiers, i.e. the 12A series, and most common power tubes of the EL and KT series) have notoriously short lifespans. The US Navy had protocols in place for changing their transmitter valves every 1,000hrs. on the dot regardless of condition, and many radio stations have similar practices - hence why RF valves are nothing uncommon on eBay and such.

Also you would have to find some way of holding the base secure.

Last edited: