Connect with us

Volume control to a speaker

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by BHNick, Sep 17, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. BHNick


    Sep 17, 2012
    I have an amplified audio signal from a Peavey speaker jack which I am sending to a speaker in another room. I need to control volume at the second speaker. How do I control the amplitude of the signal to that speaker so as to reduce the volume? Is there a commercially available "black box" with a potentiometer that will do this? How do I approach this?
  2. davenn

    davenn Moderator

    Sep 5, 2009
    Hi BHNick
    welcome to the Electronics Point Forum :)

    what sort of wattage is the amp supplying to the other speaker

    On 100V speaker lines its easy, there are wirewound pots for just that use
    I have installed dozens of them
    But assuming your amplifier out and speaker are an 8 Ohm system then you would probably need to find the highest power wirewound pot that your could find around the 8 to 10 Ohms value. You would put the output of the amp across the 2 outer connections of the pot so the amp always sees a 8 - 10 Ohm load and the speaker would come off one side of the pot and the centre connection

    Im also assuming that its the only speaker you have feeding off that output on the amplifier ? ie... no other speakers in series or parallel ?

    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  3. KrisBlueNZ

    KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

    Nov 28, 2011
    As davenn hinted at, the problem is the amount of power that the attenuator will have to dissipate. The extra energy is dissipated as heat. You need to tell us the kind of power levels you're working with.

    Even wirewound potentiometers have limited heat dissipation, unless you can find a custom-made large wirewound potentiometer - I expect they would exist somewhere.

    A feasible solution would be a switched resistor network, using wirewound resistors (with heatsinking if necessary) and a rotary switch (or several). If you want to go that way, you need to specify your impedances, power specifications, adjustment range and adjustment resolution.

    A simpler solution would be to use a separate small amplifier for your remote speaker and control the volume at its input.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day