Connect with us

Volume control from amp?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by QMAO, Mar 10, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. QMAO

QMAO

Mar 10, 2014
    This is my first time posting on this site, so excuse me if it is in the wrong section . But I do need help with a small project I have questions about.

I have a mp3 player connected to this amplifire www.sonicelectronix.com/item_71775_NVX-MVPA4.html with 3.5 stereo and rca jacks. I am using it in a 4 channel configuration.
    Because the volume control is not easy to access. I would like to put volume controls in the dash board of vehcle, which is a Polaris RZR utv.

What I want to do is wire in potentiometers ? to control the volume to the speakers.
    My questions are 1- Do I wire them to the output side of the amp, between the amp and the speakers? or wire them on between the mp3 player and the amp input?

Question 2 is which type and specification do I need to use for the potentiometers?
    I would also be able to control the volume of 2 channels seperste,..front and rear.

I appreciate the help and thank you.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You wire them between the MP3 player and the amplifier.

You would use a log pot (a dual gang one if you want both channels controlled at once).

Since the output of the MP3 player is probably designed to drive a relatively low impedance load, it may be advantageous to use a relatively low value pot (5k to 10k if you can get one).

3. QMAO

QMAO

Mar 10, 2014
    thanks for the help so far, sorry to be a PIA.

So I have a couple of these, www.parts-express.com/5k-audio-taper-stereo-potentiometer-1-4-shaft--023-644

What would be the proper way to them in between the mp3 and rca amp inputs?
    I can use each one for a left and right channel, but how for the rear front seperation?

Am I also right in assuming that there is a +input and a + output from each pot, is the other post for - in and outputs?

Also does the housing have to be grounded to metal?

A diagram labeling wires to each post would help me emensley. Thanks again for the support to my questions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    that dual gang is goo for a stereo system
    wire as per this diagram do the same for the other channel
    The common line along the bottom is the shield wire of the screen lead of your audio cable
    most stereo audio cables have red and white insulated wires for the 2 channels and a screen

[​IMG]

Front and rear speakers? .... does your amplifier have front and rear channels out ?
    if so it would have level controls already for that
    usually front and rear would involve a 4 channel amplifier
    so not just a 2 channel stereo amp

not as such ... just wire as per diagram

no

cheers
    Dave

Attached Files:

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    imagine you're looking at the pot from the top (the shaft is pointing toward you) and the lugs are toward your right.

I'll only deal with one channel, the other is the same.

Connect your signal source so that the ground connection is on the bottom lug, and the other connection on the top lug.

Connect the input to your amp so that the ground is on the bottom lug and the other input is on the middle lug.

6. QMAO

QMAO

Mar 10, 2014
    Davenn, thanks for your reply.

Yes the amp does have front and rear channels, it being a 4 channel.

Gents, sorry for my lack of understanding, but I am still not clear on how to connect these potentiometers.

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    what is it specifically about my diagram and steve's comments you don't understand ?

Dave

8. QMAO

QMAO

Mar 10, 2014
    ya, feeling like a dweeb for not understanding.

Possibly just lable which input and out put wire go to A,B and C. in the attached picture please.

Attached Files:

• pot.jpg
      pot.jpg
      File size:
      10.3 KB
      Views:
  9. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    OK

Input across A and C
    output across B and C

if you are using screened (shielded) audio cable ... and you should be
    you could put red to A and screen to C from the MP3 player
    The on the cable going to the amp red to B and screen to C

for the other part of the dual ganged pot white instead of red for the other channel

Dave

10. QMAO

QMAO

Mar 10, 2014
    Well I thinks I got it!!

So it will be like in following pic.

Then since I have 2- double gang potoentiometer I will be able to seperate the 4 channels.

Thanks again for being patien t and giving me help.

Attached Files:

11. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Yup that's it so your pic like mine shows just one channel the Left or the Right
    the other pot on the gang is for the other channel

how many inputs on the amp ? 2 ( left and right) ? or 4 ?
    if there is 4 then you are going to have to split the output from the pots to feed the 4 channels on the amp

Dave

12. QMAO

QMAO

Mar 10, 2014
    there are 4 inputs on the amp

13. QMAO

QMAO

Mar 10, 2014
Ask a Question