Maker Pro
Maker Pro

volts, signal and circuits

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
I find there is a chip for just about anything... and if you are working with a special set of stuff, there is often a chipset just for that....

If I am working with volts and amps and ohms, just raw electricity, does this include chips and chipsets? or are these signal only, and am I wrong for using chips and chipsets as a base for my multi-circuit amplimentation and switching tonality circuits that are battery powered?

most tone control in these electric instruments consists of a single capacitor wired inline to one of the tone or volume pots.
This often causes strange backflow that reduces the volume capabilities or makes the tone completely unfunctional.... I would like to try chips and chipsets to see if they are more stable as a platform in musical tone and effect control.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
There are switched capacitor filters in IC form but proper practise is to use the right part for the job. If a tone control requires a simple RC filter then why use anything more complicated? It only increases expense and complexity if things go wrong.

This is the KISS principle.

...or 'horses for courses' as some understand.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
A tone control does not cause a strange backflow that reduces the volume capabilities or makes the tone completely unfunctional.... Instead it simply gradually boosts or cuts high or low frequencies.

A tone control should be used only when the input signal source, amplifier or output speaker has a defect in its frequency response. Since a tone control can make only a gradual adjustment then it might be impossible to correct many defects. A multi-frequency audio equalizer has much more adjustment capability.