Connect with us

Volts and Amps for beginners

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by (*steve*), Feb 13, 2010.

1. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It seems to me that almost every second thread has a poster who doesn't understand the relationship between voltage and current (and implicitly resistance) causing them to become highly confused about whether a 10A supply is going to overload their xxxx and burn it out.

Do we have somewhere to point these people, or alternatively can we come up with a reasonably sensible and readable explanation for these people (who are often totally convinced they're right)?

I'd start something, but I have my wedding anniversary today and I have to go...

2. bhodgins

bhodgins

Feb 18, 2010
    OHM's Law

Steve,

allaboutcircuits.com has lots of explanations, have them see specifically OHM's Law Vol 1 Chapter 2 on this site.

or

electronics-tutorials.ws/dccircuits/dcp_1.html (I refer people to here)

Cheers,

B

3. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Quite frankly, for some first time posters, even that is simply far to complex and technical. :(

4. Makedonianin

Makedonianin

Feb 20, 2010
  5. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    If you come across any posts or make one that you think would be a helpful introduction, I can make them "stickies" (they stay at the top of the forum) or articles that we can direct people to. :)

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
Ask a Question