Connect with us

Voltage Regulators

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by cmt23cmt23, Jun 12, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. cmt23cmt23


    Jun 12, 2012
    I am in need of a voltage regulator, linear preferably, that I can use with a Variable input (Approx. 2-25v) and get 5v out. Something like a lm340 or lm341 just with a larger Vin range. Dont need surface mount just basic analog circuits design. Power usage is in the low to mid mA. Can anyone recommend something for me?
  2. Harald Kapp

    Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

    Nov 17, 2011
    A linear regulator can only regulate to (Vin-Vdrop) where Vdrop is the voltage drop across the regulator and is at least on the order of 1 V for low drop regulators. Therefore you need at least 6 V, if not more, to generate 5 V. It is impossible with Vin = 2 V, as you request.

    You will have to resort to a switch mode regulator. Look at TI, Maxim, Linear Technology etc. for a component matching your requirements.

  3. BobK


    Jan 5, 2010
    Well, a linear regulator that takes in 2V and puts out 5V would be quite an accomplishment!

    You need a DC-DC converter. You can find very cheap units on EBay.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day