Connect with us

Voltage Multiplier Design

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by julchak, Jan 2, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. julchak

julchak

Jan 2, 2013
    Hey guys,
    First post here - looking to get some help with a project of mine.

I have a load cell to which I am running 12 VDC, the load cell outputs 2mV/V and goes up to 1000 lb (I believe that gives me .024 mV/lb).

I want to split its output voltage and run it to a digital panel voltmeter (like this one), however would like the screen to be displaying the lb reading from the load cell.

To do this I figure I can use a multiplier circuit to convert my volt output (0.024 mV/lb) to a lb reading - looks like if I multiply my Vin by ~42 I will get an approximate readout in pounds on the voltmeter screen.

I'm not familiar with voltage multipliers and was hoping I could get some guidance here as to how this could be done?

It looks like if I use some combination of doubler/triplers that equate to my 42x multiplication I could do this? Not sure if I'm correct in that and how I would go about designing such a circuit.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    It is not a voltage multiplier you want, it is simply an amplfier. An opamp is the approriate device to use. The gain of an opamp can be set by the ratio of two resistors. Use an amplifier with a gain of 41.7 and you will get a reading of 1mV / lb.

Bob

3. julchak

julchak

Jan 2, 2013
    Thanks BobK - I had originally looked at boost voltage regulators then remembered they'd only regulate a single output voltage. Didn't know that the oamp style amplfiier existed, sounds like it'll do the job.

I also have heard that there are voltmeter digital panel displays which have built in converters such as the one I am trying to design - does anyone know about these/what they are called so that I can look them up?

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Voltage multiliers and boost regulators are both for creating higher voltage power supplies from lower voltages. Neither is well suited to what you want to do, which is to boost a signal by a specified ratio. That is exactly what an amplifier does.

In answer to you new question: Look up "digital panel meter".

Bob

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
Ask a Question