Connect with us

Voltage increase with arduino?

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by Servious, Dec 6, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Servious

Servious

Dec 6, 2012
    I'm pretty new to the whole electronics world (not programming, I've been programming for years), but I've got an Arduino hooked up to an mp3 player and an LED, and I have the LED synced with the music. I am going to use this for Christmas lights, which require a bit more voltage than the standard 5v the Arduino supplies. Any idea how I would do this? My first thought was to multiply the voltage from the Arduino's output by some amount the wall supplies, but I have no idea what to do here, really.

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Relays, there are cheap multiple relay boards on Ebay just for this purpose or you can DIY with your own relay design... Depending on the relay it might be necessary or advisable to use a transistor (or Darlington ic) to drive the relay vs driving it directly from the Arduino...

3. Servious

Servious

Dec 6, 2012
    So, how would a relay help? (I'm really new with all this stuff so if you could go in the like simplest terms possible) Is a relay similar to a transistor? Also, I'm not sure if I made the question clear enough,

I have the voltage coming directly from the headphone cable I cut apart into the arduino, from there I want to have it go to the string of x-mas lights, that use more power. I'm not switching the lights on and off, but rather controlling the levels.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Im wondering why you are even using an arduino ?

you could drive the leds from the MP3 player via a transistor to control the additional voltage/current required by a larger set of LEDs

BTW welcome to the forums :)

Dave

5. Servious

Servious

Dec 6, 2012
    As of right now the LED blinking looks kind of... sad. I intend to use a few programming tricks to maybe make it a little better (or maybe not, who knows). The issue is that I want the full range of the X-mas lights, not just from what they get from the wall plus the extra maybe 5v. I don't think you'd be able to see the blinking too well that way, or would you?

6. Servious

Servious

Dec 6, 2012
    Okay, I just realized two facts about transistors that solved my question.

A: The value of the emitter depends on the base of a transistor is (it's not a binary on/off)

B: It acts as a kind of multiply function as opposed to a kind of addition function.

Thanks for your help guys!

7. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Ask a Question