Connect with us

Voltage doubler help

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by WbSearch, Sep 22, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. WbSearch

    WbSearch Guest

    I'm looking to make/purchase a voltage doubler so I can charge some small
    devices while on my boat. The boat is a 12 volt system and I would like to get
    at least 26.1 volts DC, around 0.75 amps. Is ther an easy solution for me?
  2. BobC

    BobC Guest

    26.1 volts in not a real common voltage; 28 is a bit more common.

    In general, a voltage doubler circuit starts with an AC signal. In
    order to 'increase' or double the voltage, you are going to have to
    first create and AC signal. It will have to be equal to or greater than
    26 volts(RMS)(or 13 if you plan to double it) and then rectify it (an
    possibly regulate it) to get DC again ... OR
    Put two 12 volt batteries is series. 12V lead-acid batteries are at
    about 12.6 volts when fully charged giving you about 25.2 Volts. I do
    not now if this is high enough ??? ... OR
    You may be able to find a 12 to 28 volt DC-TO-DC converters and go from
    there? OR
    You might buy a standard 120 Volt inverter (of 'at least' 25 Watts) and
    plug a 26.1 power supply into it ... You may already have one of those.
  3. That's what I'd recommend. It may be a bit less efficient than an optimal
    direct solution but beats messing around with something you would like
    to depend on.

    --- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:
    Repair | Main Table of Contents:
    +Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
    | Mirror Site Info:

    Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
    contact me, please use the Feedback Form at Thanks.
  4. Sofie

    Sofie Guest


    Here are some solutions:

    #1 A 12 VOLT DC to 120VAC inverter that
    will allow you to "plug in" an appropriate charger.

    #2 Two batteries in series...... the extra battery
    can be disconnected and charged as needed. The
    good news is that because the current draw is less
    than an amp... it could go for days without recharging.
  5. WbSearch

    WbSearch Guest

    Thanks to all for your replies. I usually assume a project is easier than it
    is. The inverter is probably the best solution as the charger input is 120
    vac. I have by passed it in the past in a pinch to charge with 2 n- 12 volt
    batteries in series, but it is not a very easy solution for me, and I am
    looking for a portable unit. I had a very small Compac computer charger that
    plugged into a cigarette lighter, but the output was only 18 volts. I was
    looking for a similar unit @ 26- 28 volts. Thanks again for the input.
  6. BobC

    BobC Guest

    The compact charger is most likely a small switching regulator
    (inverter, rectifier). If you look around, you may find one that is
    close enough to suit. 120 VAC inverters are small, common and basically
    cheap these days. They are also handy to have around ... on a boat is
    is nice to have 120 VAC available, esp. in an emergency.
    Good Luck,
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day