Connect with us

Voltage Converter USA

Discussion in 'Hobby Electronics' started by Giant, Jan 23, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Giant

    Giant Guest

    Hi all, I will be off to Hawaii soon, and I bought a rechargable battery
    unit for my last trip to Japan.
    When I got there, I had the adapter plug, but the recharger would not work.

    Now I am off to Hawaii, and I asked the camera shop where I bought it, and
    they said that I will need to buy a Voltage converter for either Japan, or
    USA., and I could get it at DS or tandy.

    I called Tandy, and they said they only sell a voltage converter to be used
    in Australia, and that I will have to buy one in Hawaii, is this correct,
    who is telling me the truth ?
    Thanks guys and gals
  2. Phil Allison

    Phil Allison Guest

    ** DSE used to sell a small step up adaptor for $58 ( # M1179 ) - but
    it is not shown in the on-line cat anymore. Since this cannot be used here
    at all and they are much cheaper in the USA I guess no one bought them.

    ........... Phil
  3. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    It would be helpful if you could give us more info on your charger,
    specifically what it will accept for an input as well as what it
    outputs. Does the output have a connector on it that connects to the
    load or do the batteries you are charging plug directly into it?

    My camcorder and laptop charger/power supplies operate on 100-250 VAC,
    47-63Hz. In other words, it will run on just about any power source in
    the world. The only thing required is a physical adaptor to match the
    local type of power connection. If your charger has one of these types
    of power supplies, I would suggest you take an inexpensive extension
    cord with you that has the female end on it that is compatible with
    whatever plug is on your charger. When you get to your destination,
    visit a local hardware store and pick up a male plug that is
    compatible with where you are. Replace the male connector on your
    extension cord and you should be all set. I have done this in the

    If your charger is the older, non-universal type, then dependent on
    what and how it outputs, it may be easier to visit a local store in
    Hawaii and purchase a new charger there. I would suggest Radio Shack
    as a place you might consider. There are several locations in Hawaii,
    and you can get information on the products they sell on the web at:

    If you find a product that is suitable to what you need, you can email
    customer support and they can verify stock availability at the store
    you found in the store locator.

    Cheers from Canada!

    Bob Morgoch
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day