Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Voltage boost using diode

dvdljns

Mar 8, 2009
I have a 20 watt transistor that is in a device using a 12 volt dc supply. Using 12 volts its output is about 12 watts. I need the output to be in the 16 to 18 watt range looking at specs on this transister 16 volts will give me 20 watts. I do not want to redesign this power suply. Is there any way to use diodes in series to boost 12 volts to about 15 volts. I need a solution that will fit inside this radio can be hooked up as a seprate board so as not to interfere with the rest of the other devices.

amdNRA

Sep 3, 2009
So...this is a power supply in which you want to have higher voltage output? Right? Or is it what you need is a stiffer supply that can deliver more current at the output? More info is needed but I can tell you that diodes in series do not boost the voltage and quite the contrary, end up dropping voltage (Forward voltage drop).
Later, Gil. :)

neon

Oct 21, 2006
I have a 20 watt transistor that is in a device using a 12 volt dc supply. Using 12 volts its output is about 12 watts. I need the output to be in the 16 to 18 watt range looking at specs on this transister 16 volts will give me 20 watts. I do not want to redesign this power suply. Is there any way to use diodes in series to boost 12 volts to about 15 volts. I need a solution that will fit inside this radio can be hooked up as a seprate board so as not to interfere with the rest of the other devices.

there is no way that you can add anything in series to boost anything. parallel is a different story.