Connect with us

volt amp meter help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by robertbiferi, Apr 2, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. robertbiferi

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
    I have one meter that does both Volt and Amps.

But to change the battery you have to Un Screw it.
    Is there any meters that do both Volt and Amps with not Bells and things you don't need but that the battery door just pops off?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Well, you could get an analogue voltmeter. You don't need a battery for the voltage or current ranges, so you wouldn't need to replace the battery ever. It may be hard to find one without a resistance range, but you could simply remove the battery (even if it does requires a screwdriver) and not replace it so that leakage from the battery need not concern you. Then limit yourself to the ranges which don't need the battery.

Digital meters always require power. However they require very little and so the batteries don't require frequent replacement. Some meters make it almost impossible to get at the battery. I have one (a cheap one) that required removal of a sticker, screws, and nasty plastic clips before I could get in to change the battery. I have none that are actually easy to get in to.

I am pretty sure that the battery compartments need to be reasonably secure since the batteries will not be isolated from whatever you're measuring. If a battery cover can just fall off and you happen to have the meter sitting on your leg (say) as you measure a high voltage, you may get a nasty surprise.

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Well, you could get an analogue voltmeter. You don't need a battery for the voltage or current ranges, so you wouldn't need to replace the battery ever. It may be hard to find one without a resistance range, but you could simply remove the battery (even if it does requires a screwdriver) and not replace it so that leakage from the battery need not concern you. Then limit yourself to the ranges which don't need the battery.

Digital meters always require power. However they require very little and so the batteries don't require frequent replacement. Some meters make it almost impossible to get at the battery. I have one (a cheap one) that required removal of a sticker, screws, and nasty plastic clips before I could get in to change the battery. I have none that are actually easy to get in to.

I am pretty sure that the battery compartments need to be reasonably secure since the batteries will not be isolated from whatever you're measuring. If a battery cover can just fall off and you happen to have the meter sitting on your leg (say) as you measure a high voltage, you may get a nasty surprise.

Ask a Question