Connect with us

Voice comm. filter design

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by saam12, Nov 24, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. saam12

saam12

Nov 10, 2010
    any idea how to do designing a filter for improving voice communications
    any helpful website
    plz help

2. rob_croxford

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+design+a+filter+

I take it this is homework and you have been asked to design a filter that can attenuate frequencies that are not associated with homan hearing etc...

so filter out all frequencies bellow 20Hz and above 20,000Hz.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  3. barathbushan

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009

noise tends to be on the higher side of the spectrum , so for voice signals , a high pass filter would do

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    you better re-word that statement, else you aint gonna hear anything

Dave

5. barathbushan

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
    Hi dave , I meant that for low frequency audio signals . there is no need for low pass filters , since
    noise content in the audible frequency below the 20hz is negligible

6. rob_croxford

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
    But this of course depends on the comunication method. Over a phone or walkie talkie it is quite true that the low frequencies would make no apparent difference in the quality of the sound. However at large amplitudes these frequencies tend to be felt rather than heard. therefore attenuating frequencies bellow 20Hz will reduce the risk of distortion.

7. barathbushan

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
    maybe your right , but i have never done a filter for such low frequencies , the minimum was about 1 Khz

8. rob_croxford

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
    I guess im talking more about sound conditioning for music etc.. in that context it is relativly popular to either attenuate or boost the sub frequencies.

9. barathbushan

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
    thanks for the info rob , i guess i must find out more about the properties of filters and noise at low frequencies

10. rob_croxford

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
    Gernerally you wont get "noise" at low frequencies as noise is just the Harmonics of a certain frequency and is always of a higher frequency. However the Lower frequencies are harder to control and work with as they are Uni-directional (hense why you are more likely to hear the bass outside of a night club or a car etc.. than the higher frequencies) whereas high frequencies can be "directed". :)

Ask a Question