Connect with us

Vo-Tech transformer lab station

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by joerm, Feb 19, 2018.

1. joerm

joerm

Dec 5, 2013
    I've recently acquired

upload_2018-2-19_12-43-42.png

upload_2018-2-19_12-44-50.png

a FlexLab teaching transformer station and am trying to find out more information about it.
    It is wired for 3 phase with 3 single phase NWL 3 kva transformer below the desk surface. What looks like a telephone switch operators box on top has female jacks use to dial in various primary and secondary voltages. Would this unit have value as a testing station for when working on various motors with various voltage requirements? Has anyone seen a similar transformer teaching unit? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I don't have any of the cables that would push in to the dash board.

[MOD NOTE: Images cropped to get rid of all the huge blank space]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2018
    davenn likes this.
  2. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    WOW, don't see one of those every day. I think it would be great for testing and evaluating things.

I remember the cables from school days, but have no idea where you could get some. My guess is that they were custom made for the tester.

ak

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    pretty cool

never seen anything like it

4. Cannonball

Cannonball

May 6, 2017
    Me either!

5. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Pretty much useless imho - despite its retro/steampunk appearance.

You'd get more use from 3 variacs (one per phase and infinitely adjustable) without having to 'select' the required tapping points - if you actually wanted to have a 'useful piece of test equipment'.

Might be worth re-working into a test bench with a selection of different pieces of test equipment in that large back panel unit though.

Ask a Question