Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Vo-Tech transformer lab station

joerm

Dec 5, 2013
I've recently acquired

upload_2018-2-19_12-43-42.png

upload_2018-2-19_12-44-50.png

a FlexLab teaching transformer station and am trying to find out more information about it.
It is wired for 3 phase with 3 single phase NWL 3 kva transformer below the desk surface. What looks like a telephone switch operators box on top has female jacks use to dial in various primary and secondary voltages. Would this unit have value as a testing station for when working on various motors with various voltage requirements? Has anyone seen a similar transformer teaching unit? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I don't have any of the cables that would push in to the dash board.

[MOD NOTE: Images cropped to get rid of all the huge blank space]

Last edited by a moderator:

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
WOW, don't see one of those every day. I think it would be great for testing and evaluating things.

I remember the cables from school days, but have no idea where you could get some. My guess is that they were custom made for the tester.

ak

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Pretty much useless imho - despite its retro/steampunk appearance.

You'd get more use from 3 variacs (one per phase and infinitely adjustable) without having to 'select' the required tapping points - if you actually wanted to have a 'useful piece of test equipment'.

Might be worth re-working into a test bench with a selection of different pieces of test equipment in that large back panel unit though.