Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Views on Digikey???

Pho123

Jul 16, 2012
Hi - does anyone have any views on Digi-key? What edge do they have over RS? Interested to hear any experiences, good or bad! Thanks

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
RS as in the UK electronics distributor known as Allied Electronics in the US or Radio Shack?

DigiKey is fine, they are a top notch company and I have never had an issue with them... My primary supplier is Mouser, but I often place orders with DigiKey when Mouser is out of stock or for components that Mouser does not carry... I also use Allied Electronics (RS in the UK) as well, they have some great prices on certain components vs DigiKey and Mouser... Sometimes there is a big enough price difference to justify a separate order, same with other companies that I place orders with... Never assume you are getting a good deal all the time just because the company has comparable prices on most components, sometimes you will be totally surprised at the difference on certain components from company to company...

BTW I generally use Mouser and DigiKey as most of my orders are shipped overnight, and they provide same day shipping on most orders, even when placed in the late afternoon or early evening... This allows me to get an order together early in the day and add to it as the day goes on before finalizing the purchase, as it never fails that I forget to add something the first time around...

On the other hand if you are comparing DigiKey to Radio Shack it's absolutely no comparison as Radio Shack is a total joke nowadays and only good for instant satisfaction if they happen to have your part in stock... They used to be a good source for 1lb rolls of solder as I could avoid the shipping cost and they were actually comparable in price, but at least by me they no longer carry the 1lb rolls so that plus is gone as the smaller rolls are marked up substantially...

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Hi - does anyone have any views on Digi-key? What edge do they have over RS? Interested to hear any experiences, good or bad! Thanks

At the moment I get free shipping from RS, but Digikey has the best search engine for parts.

I tend to use Digikey to search for things, and RS for purchasing. RS's prices aren't nearly as good, but as it saves over $50 in shipping, there's plenty of wiggle room.

Also, if I'm really keen, I can walk in to RS.

Oh, RS, not Radio Shack.

Radio Shack were what Dick Smith has become (very sad places).

Pho123

Jul 16, 2012
Thanks for that guys. Yes, I mean RS components, not Radio Shack. What really interests me is whether their business model could threaten the Allied business in the UK and Europe. Digikey have only one warehouse in the US and Allied (RS in UK) have a number of warehouses