Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Video Security IOT Project

mts18

May 8, 2018
Hello,

I need to come up with a solution to a problem. I'm trying to do a project for fun where it's needed to surround a 12 meters perimeter with 3 cameras.

GUyGuZG.jpg

Basically I want to build a security system that records everything in this perimeter. The cameras will have motion sensors attached to it so it just records when it detects any kind of movement. When the motion sensor detects something all the 3 cameras must start recording and sending the video images to the tablet to be stored. The tablet needs to be capable of watching the cameras in real-time and access the records files that the cameras recorded when the motion sensor detected something.

Since I'm really new to this field, I'm just a programmer, I need some kind of help to get started. I thought I could build the cameras setup with arduinos.
Something like this:
MotionCamera_bb.png

Then have 3 of these streaming to a raspeberry Pi that collects all the recording files and the tablet access it trought an app.
That's just something that I thought.

What do you think? Is this possible? What is the best solution to this? What material will I need?

Thank you very much I hope I can get in the right away.

Attachments

• mts.jpg
    mts.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 59

Hopup

Jul 5, 2015
Arduino is not really optimal for any kind of camera stuff because of its low processing power and memory.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
There are many compact video cameras that have on-board recording (to SD card) that also contain automatic movement detection facilities. They usually require an external power source (some have lithium batteries but limited run-time) but you'd be running a cable of some sorts anyway so I doubt that's an issue for you.

Recording time is based on the size of SD card used but with movement detection switched on they'll last days/weeks under some circumstances. Onscreen date/time is also available.

I have one such camera (built-in battery, IR night light, movement detection, time stamp etc) that comes in a 'cube' some 2cm x 2cm x 2cm!!!

Getting something that is 'wireless' is not easy - the power requirements being the difficulty to over come.