Connect with us

video generator: guidance needed

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Jouellet, Jul 22, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jouellet

Jouellet

Feb 2, 2015
    Hi folks,

another project: I have the signal from a camera. It's output is in HDMI format.

I need to be able to "encode" some information into the image, such as pre-defined location and distance (given by an encoder. could be Arduino driven)

my first thought was to use a Raspberry PI to somehow generate the text to be embedded (it has an HDMI output) and "mix" it with the camera's output.

I don't know if it's possible to do so, what chips/circuit to use or even if it already exist (at a reasonable price, that is 100-150 $)

I need ideas/advises on this one !

TIA

2. Sunnysky

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
  3. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    HDMI is a *digital* video interface. That means two signals cannot be mixed together as they can be with NTSC analog video. Combining two digital video streams means calculating the resultant pixel value for all pixels that are the result of combining; in your case, the pixels of the overlaid information. And all of this happens at blistering speed. Here is an overview to give you a feel for the complexity of HDMI.

ak

4. Jouellet

Jouellet

Feb 2, 2015
    ok....mixing signals is not an option.

what about "manipulating" the signal, by overwritting portion of the signal, by writting the required text ...

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who needs to embed text in a video signal ! That must have been done before !

5. Sunnysky

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
    • Mixing is done in analog.
    • So video capture to analog, software using my link, then convert to hdmi if desired or leave as VGA.
    • Logitech has such software for their cams.
    • or ManyCam works with any video source in windows, mabye others
    • program to interface data stream into subtitles format can be used on VLC maybe.

davenn and Jouellet like this.
Ask a Question