Maker Pro
Maker Pro

video and rf together

mikewilder

May 26, 2012
Sounds dumb, but has anyone tried to place composite video on the same cable with rf (cable co) and then seperate it back out at the television? I have a situation where the house is already wired and finished. We originally had or security cameras modulated to channel 116 and placed into the dist. amp with the analog cable. Now the cable co has updated the system to a digital format with set top boxes. If I could get composite to the tv, I could have the customer switch to video input to view the cameras.
The only other solution that I can come up with is to use a wireless transmitter and receiver pair.
Again, this sounds dumb. I think it should work, the two signals are different enough that they shouldn't bother each other. Video is 0-4.5 mhz and the cable is somewhere in the 400mhz range. It would help me to know if this has been tried.
Thanks in advance for the answer.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
there may still be a few av-rf converters out there that could add to the rf chord then all they have to do is switch to a channel as before. I am positive that the only work on analogue compatible tv's though

mikewilder

May 26, 2012
yep

Yes, that's my problem. We had it modulated to analog channel 116 (an un-used cable channel) so the customer could simply tune to that channel to view the cameras. Once cable became "Xfinity", they use a digital signal, distribute it throught the house and convert it to ch3 at the tv by means of a set top box.
I just wish that when the house was built, the builder had the foresight to wire it with more than just rg6.
I could pull new video wires to all 6 tvs, the wire would be exposed and look like crap in a brand new house.
I just wonder if video and rf could ride the same wire? If it is possible, then the video could be seperated at the tv end and plugged in to one of the video inputs.
Satellite superimposes dc on the wire to run the outdoor equipment. Professional microphones add dc to the wire for powered mics. In the old days, cameras would place 24ac on the coax to power the camera. They no longer do that for some reason (must have had some problem, or a profit problem).
Ther must be some way to get video to these tvs without exposed wiring.

shayse

May 27, 2012
why not get a bandpass filter for the channel you want to use. Maybe ask one of the cable installers if they have an unused of obsolete filter left over the would "donate" to your cause