Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Vibration Sensor

BGT

Oct 22, 2020
Hoping someone has some experience of these and can tell me what to expect. As you can see from the attached video this is not very sensitive. It has two pots, one controls how long the relay remains open and the other one appears to do nothing (i'm wondering if this is supposed to contrl sensitivity ?)

I take it that the little black thing on the left hand side is the sensor ?, it has the code 020P SW1802

I am really wanting something sensitive enough to be triggered by very gentle vibrations, if what I have is working properly, can anyone advise me what I should be buying

youtube video

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Think you'll find the sensor is simply a spring with a centre electrode similar to below.

internal.jpg

It really depends on your application and your level of knowhow as there are more accurate devices around such as ADXL345 accelerometer but it requires an amount of at least some programming knowledge.

This is just one example of the sensor with Arduino for which there are many code downloads available, again depending on your needs.
Connecting over I2C seems the best approach as compared to SPI. the former does not require any logic level device for the signals.
Unit can be calibrated for exact measurements and or/ set to have varying degrees of sensitivity.

If you just need a pretty picture, one can use a flight controller out of an r/c quad or aircraft, plug it in (usb) to say a free Inav configurator program, select sensor, and as long as the flight controller has current firmware ( which can easily be updated) you can see the output results plotted as a moving graph for all axis, including any "shock" input.

This video may help with your current module.

Also found this on simple piezo MEAS type sensor.
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorial...16.1397257678.1626148081-558611222.1626148081

Last edited:

BGT

Oct 22, 2020
That is all very interesting, thankyou

but back to my original question, do you think the module/device in my original post is faulty or is it likely to be performing as designed ?
Having never used one of these before I do not know what to expect regarding sensitivity.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
If you took note and watched the videos, you would have learned that they are not sensitive devices.
Sometimes I wonder why I waste my time.

BGT

Oct 22, 2020
If you took note and watched the videos, you would have learned that they are not sensitive devices.
Sometimes I wonder why I waste my time.
You seem to be answering questions that I did not ask

VenomBallistics

Aug 30, 2018
I think he answered your question in the first portion of his initial response.
He described the sensors operating principles, and how it's sensitivity is neither sensitive, nor adjustable. Then he went on to offer alternatives that are sensitive as well as adjustable.
I have to give him an A grade for the answer, as well as the extra mile of service after the sale