Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Vibration Sensor

fish

Aug 13, 2009
Hey,

First post. Yay.

At the moment I'm designing a project which requires a reading a vibration sensor, something like this:

540626 on farnell.com (can't post URLs yet)
or
rapidonline.com 78-0768

Going by what I can gather, vibration causes the sensor to go into an unstable state. The datasheet says "the sensor reacts when disturbed by going into a fleeting change of state (i.e. n/o to n/c or vice versa). The settled state will be random unless mounting attitude is chosen for a n/c output".

I want to read this with a small microcontroller (a PIC10F, most likely), and I want to be able to detect when it is "disturbed". Given the rather awkward output, and my rather limited microcontroller capabilities, I'm going to need some kind of conditioning first.

I was thinking of having it input into an inverter to buffer the output, with a feedback loop to stabilise it. Then in theory I would get a 1 when there is vibration, and a 0 when there is none. I would then connect to a simple SR flip flop made from some NAND gates, and then use the micro to poll the Q output and clear the flipflop. I'd then use the micro to keep a running average.

I'm a tad worried about the signal conditining though, and I'm not entirely sure I understand when they say "fleeting change of state".

Does anyone have experience with such sensors that they could share?

Cheers,

docel

Sep 3, 2009
Hi!
This is a Mercury switch....meaning its just 2 terminals that will short or open when shaken by some vibration. The mercury, which is a liquid, will "vibrate" or make intermittent contact like a damped oscillation. It resembles the key bounce in mechanical switches.

The Manufacturers application circuit is quite sufficient for any of your purposes. If necessary, you can sample the signal with a delay routine for the Micro.

gosgirl

Sep 7, 2009
In theory I would get a 1 when there is vibration, and a 0 when there is none. I would then connect to a simple SR flip flop made from some NAND gates, and then use the micro to poll the Q output and clear the flipflop. I'd then use the micro to keep a running average.

MYCOLLECTS COM

amdNRA

Sep 3, 2009
Unless the vibration is great, the mercury switch may not be your best bet. Mercury swithes are mostly used as tilt indicators. A better vibration sensor might be a microphone with a reflector or a 4-6" speaker(used as a mic) coupled to a matching impedance transformer going to an amplifier, followed by a peak detector and a comparator whose output goes to the PIC chip. Play with the amplifier/comparator to vary the threshold of vibration.
Good luck, Gil. :)