Maker Pro
Maker Pro

VHS Problems

Belle97

May 18, 2017
My boyfriend and I moved into a new apartment recently. His parents gave us an old Sanyo VHS player, but when we turned it on to watch a movie, we heard a pop and it wouldn't turn on. I opened up the top and when I press the power button twice, the head gets a kick start and spins, but powers back off. Nothing else on the front turns on at any point. We have so many tapes and would like to avoid buying a new one... Help!

Ben King

Apr 4, 2017
Man if I could see the vhs in person I might be able to help you

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Not much to work with, and most of it would involve troubleshooting of components that you don't sound like you'd be able to do. Have you checked the price of VHS units in the store? The ones in my area are selling them at $25 each to try to get rid of them (everybody is going to BluRay). Even the DVD players are running at about $25 apiece now because they're on their way out, being replaced by BluRay.
This would probably cost you more to get repaired, than the cost of an entirely new unit.
Check the stores in your area, then cruise the internet for a new VHS player while they're still available.

Lars Helge Fjogstad

May 17, 2017
My boyfriend and I moved into a new apartment recently. His parents gave us an old Sanyo VHS player, but when we turned it on to watch a movie, we heard a pop and it wouldn't turn on. I opened up the top and when I press the power button twice, the head gets a kick start and spins, but powers back off. Nothing else on the front turns on at any point. We have so many tapes and would like to avoid buying a new one... Help!

Most likely the power supply capacitors are dried out and not working. Not hard to get and change if you know how to solder, or a neighbour knows, but there may of course be other problems. Probably easiest way is eBay. I guess there are working VHS´s for sale.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Come back with its model number and then test to see if it will load and unload a tape, since you already have its innards exposed.
Then see if it can fully fast forward a tape to its end and fast rewind a tape to its beginning . . . . with you never hitting play mode, in which it apparerntly would not thread a tape up..

73's de Edd