Maker Pro
Maker Pro

VHF Repeater system

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016
On that note I'm curious. Doesn't your repeater transmit its call sign with Morse code periodically?
nope not at all it just "extends" the range of our handheld radios

only commented about some cadet thing ... what ever the heck that is ??
once a year a unit of cadets heads up to an army base to undergo what we call the annual field training for a week.. i am apart of a group who manages and maintains the entire comms for the entire excercise so if anything happens we need to know right away. the unit is split into companies of which stay in different areas of the military base so in order to get food and water out to them comms is crucial allthough the Radio team known as "signals" stays at base keeping track of everything.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
nope not at all it just "extends" the range of our handheld radios

that's irrelevent ... if it transmits, it requires a licence from ACMA ... you had better get one before your gear is confiscated and you are heavily fined

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016
that's irrelevent ... if it transmits, it requires a licence from ACMA ... you had better get one before your gear is confiscated and you are heavily fined
the head coordinators have the necessary permits for it however that isnt my job i just run the radio's and the gear ;)

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
"I just follow orders sir".
Carry on Cadet.
Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
I'm still curious though. What band does this repeater operate on?

Chris

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016
I'm still curious though. What band does this repeater operate on?

Chris
Band? do you mean frequency? we actually own a frequency im not sure what it is though its been pre programmed into the repeater and handheld radio's

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
I asked for the band because repeater receive and transmit frequencies are not the same.

I must say that I'm a bit skeptical about anyone being put in charge of a repeater and hand held radios when your superiors haven't even provided you with basic information and insured that you understand all of the information provided. Knowing the band or frequencies your system operates on is about as basic as it gets.

Chris

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
I get to use these everyday. they are becoming more common place. the difference is I use a repeater not repair.
every where I go they install these suckers and try to convince us to convert to digital only as most repeaters can only handle 1 analogue signal (apparently). last place I worked at got it installed and the radio company took the license on as part of the contract of maintenance.
army cadets actually being backed by the Australian army I ASSUME would have some green lights automatically approved.
lastly I want to know where in the great oz lightshow is reporting from? the Issue I have is that I know a location 4 hours from an army barracks. they actually got the army based engineer to come out and inspect the setup as it is required for army , AND it is required for insurance to have a qualified technician "inspect" all radio comms equipment.
funniest thing that story... the guy brought a satellite laptop and showed us thermal imaging..... I mean nothing sir.....

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
oh what make and model repeater you using?
any chance of an upgrade?
I know its a government run thing but tech for radios has come A LONG way.
my favourite thing at work atm is our radio's have the option to make a "private" call to a certain other radio (if that has been added to contacts) send texts... oh and it tells me which radio is broadcasting so I can tell that guy to not lean on the button.... usually followed by a 7 letter word ending with wit....
newer options include "find me" too.. the cheaper version of that is when pressed the radio just screeches loudly, the midrange has an automatic message saying "radio (x) needs assistance" and the higher ones use gps and broadcast coords ONLY to base...
my Bluetooth headset is also nice too lol....
it all depends on type of receiver used though as half the "fun" things need a newer repeater to handle them

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016
army cadets actually being backed by the Australian army I ASSUME would have some green lights automatically approved
Yep :D

lastly I want to know where in the great oz lightshow is reporting from?
Sydney Mate!

they actually got the army based engineer to come out and inspect the setup as it is required for army , AND it is required for insurance to have a qualified technician "inspect" all radio comms equipment.
Believe it or not this has never happened

oh what make and model repeater you using?
Its a kenwood TKR-751 VHF Repeater

any chance of an upgrade?
Eh the budget we have atm is kinda tight and along with other expenses i dont think we can

my favourite thing at work atm is our radio's have the option to make a "private" call to a certain other radio (if that has been added to contacts) send texts... oh and it tells me which radio is broadcasting so I can tell that guy to not lean on the button.... usually followed by a 7 letter word ending with wit....
newer options include "find me" too.. the cheaper version of that is when pressed the radio just screeches loudly, the midrange has an automatic message saying "radio (x) needs assistance" and the higher ones use gps and broadcast coords ONLY to base...
my Bluetooth headset is also nice too lol....
it all depends on type of receiver used though as half the "fun" things need a newer repeater to handle them
This would be amazing to have but probably unnecessary for the things we do..

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016
I asked for the band because repeater receive and transmit frequencies are not the same.

I must say that I'm a bit skeptical about anyone being put in charge of a repeater and hand held radios when your superiors haven't even provided you with basic information and insured that you understand all of the information provided. Knowing the band or frequencies your system operates on is about as basic as it gets.

Chris
The "surperiors" keep alot of the extra info to themselves And since the radios are pre programmed they think that frequency's is not something that we need to know they basically give us the bare minimum and then tell us to deal with it.. bad i know but i cannot really argue