Connect with us

VGA over Ethernet problems

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by xertechx, Dec 3, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. xertechx

xertechx

Dec 3, 2010
    I have a somewhat complicated situation, I hope I explain it right. I have a piece of equipement that uses a computer and a touch screen monitor. The monitor is about 30 feet away from the computer. The computer is in a panel, along with the basic electronics used to power up my equipment (110vac and 24vdc). Since the monitor is far away and in an industrial enviroment, we are using a VGA over ethernet unit, the ethernet is ran in conduit into a sub panel where the receiver is. There is other electronics in this panel, but low voltage (24VDC). We have a rejection unit that fires a solenoid for 100ms, when this is fired, we lose signal to the monitor. Other than that it works perfect, any suggestions?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Ground bounce caused by the high current to the solenoid?

Inductive pickup from the solenoid wires to the VGA/Ethernet cable?

3. xertechx

xertechx

Dec 3, 2010
    I know basically what ground bounce is but do not fully understand it. I was also told that other rejection units not even tied to our equpment (but equal distance away) also cause the monitor to go black. That would lead me to beleive that it is not pickup from the wires, I would think anyway. Also the ethernet is cat6 sheilded.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
  4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    As I see it, the problem could occur in one (or more) of three places.

1) the signal source
    2) the cable
    3) the display

If you connect the display directly to the signal source, does the blanking happen?

If you use an independent power source for the display, does it happen?

If you re-route the signal (and maybe power) away from the other wires, does it happen?

Shielded cat6 may not be helping if it's the shielding that is picking up the interference!

5. xertechx

xertechx

Dec 3, 2010
    Thank you for the suggestions, we tried all of those and it would work with the above as tested. What they did to fix the problem was add a diode, I dont know how that fixed it but it did! Thank you for the info on the shielding as well, I read that it is for RF protection only really.

Ask a Question