Connect with us

VGA OV7670; FIFO or no FIFO?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Spike124, Sep 8, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Spike124

Spike124

Aug 11, 2015
    I have just bought a VGA OV7670 camera module to use on either my Arduino Uno or Arduino Mega 2560 & have just read something about needing a 'FIFO'! Can anyone enlighten me please? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    FIFO . First-in, First-out.

Can you share a model number for the camera module? It may just be talking about a buffer.
    The camera can dump information incredibly quickly. Using a buffer allows a picture to be taken right away, and allow the microcontroller to process it be reading it from the buffer.

Spike124 likes this.
  3. Spike124

Spike124

Aug 11, 2015
    VGA OV7670 IS the model number from what I can see. I think you're right though about FIFO being somewhere to dump the pictures. Looking on eBay, I've seen exactly the same camera but with a chip on the back & it's advertised as 'with FIFO'. But I've also seen things about wireless FIFO. I'm wondering if I rig up a micro sd card unit that I've got, if I could use THAT as a FIFO?

4. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
  5. Old Steve

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
    Spike, looking at the datasheet for the camera module, it already has an on-board FIFO. Check out the 'Functional block Diagram', (Figure 2).
    http://www.voti.nl/docs/OV7670.pdf

Ask a Question