Connect with us

Very small 12v circuit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Utah, Mar 28, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Utah

Utah

Mar 28, 2011
    Electronics are way over my head, which didn't seem to stop me from trying this project.

I'm trying to make a 3' run of battery powered lights. Picture attached.

I have 5 small 12v dc led lights that I've connected to a run of about 3 feet of wire, connected to a battery pack (8 AA batteries, which are 1.5v) and a push button on/off switch. The idea is that I'd be able to hold the batter pack and on/off switch in one hand while holding the other end of lights.

The battery pack didn't come with leads but uses a 9v battery type connection, so I bought a 9 v connector with leads.
    I got everything wired up and although it worked, after about 2 minutes the battery pack started sizzling and smoking.

Any help on what I may have done wrong?

Thanks in advance!
    Claudia

Attached Files:

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Can't tell what's underneath all that tape, but chances are that's where you'll find the fault. A smoking battery pack is a shorted battery pack.
    Anytime I come across a heavily taped whatever wherever I always unwrap it to find (the) bad workmanship underneath.

3. Utah

Utah

Mar 28, 2011
    Well, Resqueline, that's a start, but I don't think it's the answer. Under the tape is just the 2 16 gauge wires. I only taped them together because I need them to not move independently. Ideally I'd have just run them through conduit but I couldn't find anything quickly. Any more ideas?

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I still can't see what's going on beneath that tape. That's where it all happens.
    Of course I could ask if you hooked up the switch correctly..

5. pufftmd2389

pufftmd2389

Apr 1, 2011
    if i set up that switch i would have just ran the positive to the switch, the negative directly to the lights.
    how do you have them wired, both positive and negative to the switch? is it a single pole or two pole switch ( most likely a single pole [two wires coming out])

cant say i haven't done something stupid like ran wires that would end up shorting the circuit out thinking it would complete it correctly( would have if i had one ways tho so i wasn't totally wrong).
    did the lights turn on at all? kinda should have been the first thing to be asked lol

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Well, it wouldn't have been the first thing I asked because (s)he said:

More likely there was a short under all that tape.

It would have been interesting to know if the batteries were getting hot while the lights were on, and/or whether the lights were still on when the batteries were sizzling and smoking.

Ask a Question