Connect with us

Very simple quick problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Bobby119, Mar 20, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Bobby119

    Bobby119

    3
    0
    Mar 20, 2012
    I'm attempting to build a simple electronic firework lighter by frying a 10 ohm resistor with a newly purchased 12 volt A23 battery, which is initiated via a toggle switch. I have seen on youtube that the resistors ignite in less than a second, and I expected the same results. Upon closing the circuit (without using the switch), the resistor simply heats up and does not smoke nor ignite. When I tried the same thing using a 9 volt battery, the resistor quickly began to smoke, but did not ignite as I need it to. I tested the A23's voltage, and it was approximetly 11.5 V. My question is why will it not ignite, and how can I correct this.

    -Thanks
     
  2. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    25,418
    2,788
    Jan 21, 2010
    You need a battery that can supply more power and a resistor of the correct value.

    Try using AA batteries (or larger) and possibly a lower value resistor.

    For maximum heat, the resistor should be the same value as the battery's internal resistance, but this will also cause the battery to get hot.
     
  3. Bobby119

    Bobby119

    3
    0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Right now i'm unable to obtain a lower ohm resistor, but seeing as the 9 volt battery got it to smoke and glow a little, do you think that if i used two in a series it would light? Or if i used two A23's, or an a23 and a nine volt (im limited on parts) it would light?

    -Thanks
     
  4. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    25,418
    2,788
    Jan 21, 2010
    two 9V batteries in parallel may work better
     
  5. timothy48342

    timothy48342

    218
    1
    Nov 28, 2011
    Ya know they make ignitors for model rocket engines. I don't know what volt/amp it takes to set them off, but they get red hot right at the tip and I think there is some kind of chemicle there too that flares up to help get things started.
    -t
    Oh.. And be careful with the fireworks. SAFETY FIRST!
     
  6. KJ6EAD

    KJ6EAD

    1,114
    158
    Aug 13, 2011
    They're basically a match head with a nichrome heater wire inside and can be found for less than $1 each.

    Try a low wattage resistor like 1/16 W hot glued between three matches with a fuse.
     
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  7. Rleo6965

    Rleo6965

    585
    9
    Jan 22, 2012
    If you can still find small flashlight bulb. Break the glass and expose the filament. That maybe a help.
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-