Connect with us

Very large heatsink.

Wanted: Discussion in 'For Sale / Wanted' started by sureshot, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. sureshot

sureshot

Jul 7, 2012
    Wanted very large heatsink capable of accommodating 6 x TO3 transistor packages. Drilled or undrilled is fine.

2. Herschel Peeler

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
    The best classic heat sink I have seen is a popular author using a motorcycle motor aluminum head as a heat sink. Is this for the personal work bench or for sale?

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Look for something with fins that can be made into a "tunnel" with three transistors on each side. This will allow you to mount a fan on one end, increasing the efficiency and reducing the size heatsink you require.

Something like this. http://www.altronics.com.au/p/h0515-heavy-duty-tunnel-heatsink/

Have you determined the required thermal characteristics of the heatsink?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  4. sureshot

sureshot

Jul 7, 2012
    I really like both ideas, thank you very much ! No Steve not yet, it will be overkill anyway, as i'm only going to be drawing 15 Amps continuous and 20 Amps absolute maximum.
    As a biker many years ago the aluminium head heatsink idea sounds really good, i have a local machine engineering work shop that might be able to quote some fin removal. Just enough for each package. Thanks again really cool ideas. I'm a thinker often looking for solutions, and you' ve both given me food for thought there !

Ask a Question