Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wanted: Very large heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sureshot

Jul 7, 2012
Wanted very large heatsink capable of accommodating 6 x TO3 transistor packages. Drilled or undrilled is fine.

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
The best classic heat sink I have seen is a popular author using a motorcycle motor aluminum head as a heat sink. Is this for the personal work bench or for sale?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Look for something with fins that can be made into a "tunnel" with three transistors on each side. This will allow you to mount a fan on one end, increasing the efficiency and reducing the size heatsink you require.

Something like this. http://www.altronics.com.au/p/h0515-heavy-duty-tunnel-heatsink/

Have you determined the required thermal characteristics of the heatsink?

Last edited:

sureshot

Jul 7, 2012
I really like both ideas, thank you very much ! No Steve not yet, it will be overkill anyway, as i'm only going to be drawing 15 Amps continuous and 20 Amps absolute maximum.
As a biker many years ago the aluminium head heatsink idea sounds really good, i have a local machine engineering work shop that might be able to quote some fin removal. Just enough for each package. Thanks again really cool ideas. I'm a thinker often looking for solutions, and you' ve both given me food for thought there !

Status
Not open for further replies.