Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Vehicle sensor device

stormin norman

Dec 1, 2011
When I park my front end loader at work I need to be far enough back inside the building so the over head door can close. I went the simple route of hanging a string with a tennis ball attached but other large trucks when driving thru catch & tear that off. I'd like to believe there is a light,maybe infra-red type, that can be mounted to the ceiling, when it strikes reflective tape I would attach to my loader, it would reflect back to a receiver of sorts that could then trigger a light to come on, so I know I'm back in far enough. This isn't too far fetched an idea, now is it?

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
No, that would work. Another simple idea (commonly used) is to mount one of those fish-eye mirrors at 45° so you can see when your clear.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
There are parking devices on Ebay for maybe $20 that emit an adjustable laser type beam onto where ever reference point on your vehicle. No reflective tape and no feedback to the transmitter as it is a simple reference point beam. Also one can get ultrasonic devices that do a similar job from the same place.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Two simple torches, sidelights etc (or a pair of cheap lasers) aimed at angles so they create two 'dots' on the rear wall work too.

You reverse until the dots 'meet' (after having previously set them correctly of course!)

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'd take a can of spray paint, and mark a short line on the pavement (or wall) that lines-up with your field of vision next to your cab. Look at where the line is next to you when you park and know you're at the correct parking distance. Your idea is a good one and there are good suggestions here to accomplish it. This is just a cheap way to consider that doesn't involve installing anything.
I had the same issue with a place I used to work at with my electric cart. It's probably not feasible in your situation, but I marked a paint spot on the pavement where I needed to park the cart. At the end of the day I got out of the cart and set down a wheel chock on my paint spot that I kept on my cart for this purpose, then backed the cart up until I hit the chock. Next day I picked up the wheel chock, threw it back on the cart and went to work.