Connect with us

Vehicle power plugs

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Matt5651, Jul 16, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Matt5651

Matt5651

Jul 16, 2014
    I need some help. I have 3 led lights that all operate off a 12v power source switch. I want to combine all 3 lights into 1 switch so they all come on at the same time w/ 1 switch. Can I do this? I have a feeling this is pretty easy to do however I'm clueless when It comes to electronics and vehicles.

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    This can be done fairly easily.

First questions:
    What are the lights rated for? (Intel on fuse size, or wattage)

Second question: (may be harder)
    What is the switch you want to use rated for?

If the total number of lights is under the rating of the switch (add some extra wiggle room), then you can remove the 'output' wire from the switches, tie them together, and connect the new set of wires to the output of an existing switch, or a replacement switch that has a higher rating.
    This is incredibly rare, but always double-check to make sure you know what the polarity is. Make sure that all 3 of the current switched either a) provide 12V to the lights, or b) provide ground for the lights. If the switches are configured differently, you will have a little trouble.
    You can tell if the switch provides 12V or ground to the lights by leaving the switch 'OFF' and measuring the voltage on the terminals of the switch. Make sure that all 3 are identical and your golden.

Additionally, if you want to go a little deeper, with the help of a relay you can tap into an alternative source to turn on the lights... ie, have them turn on automatically when you turn on your 4-ways, low beams, high beams, E-brake.... the list goes on.

Let us know how you plan to use them and we can provide more info.

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    A 3PST (Three Pole Single Throw) Switch (?)

Ask a Question