Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Vehicle Mirror Control

knowoneishome

Sep 30, 2010
My automatic mirror control stopped working but the motors in the mirror still work and can be controlled by jumping pins. I have tried making switches to control the mirrors but am having trouble. The fuse will blow if the 12V touches the ground...obviously. I was wondering if there is a simpler way to do this other than what I've tried. The following diagram doesn't work or will only work for one mirror if I disregard the 3-prong switch. I am an electronics noob so any help would be appreciated...thanks.
mirrorcontrol.jpg

trial&error.jpg

Militoy

Aug 24, 2010
What kind of a vehicle is the mirror on? Most newer mirror controls work through the CANbus - as opposed to via direct wire connections.

knowoneishome

Sep 30, 2010
it's on a 1996 chrysler sebring. The module that was on it (which is broke) looks very simple. its just a couple of traces of metal that when pressed make contact with each other which opens the connection. I can control the mirrors by jumping the ground/12v to their corresponding points so I know there is not supposed to be an external controller/computer otherwise it would not be designed this way. I cannot figure out the traces from the older module because it's all rusted out and pieces of metal broke off disconnecting them.

Militoy

Aug 24, 2010
Sorry for the delay in response. I looked through my library of auto / truck schematics - and unfortunately, have very little on 96 Chryslers. I'm a bit confused by your sketch; showing a different setup for the left and right side mirrors. Is this really the way Chrysler set the Sebring up? In any case - my first inclination would be to dig through a "pick your part" junkyard, and replace the defective controller with a used OEM part. I would invest considerable time looking for original parts, before resorting to a home-brew controller. Failing that solution - there are numerous joystick controllers available that use 4 switches instead of potentiometers - and even though the wiring scheme won't be any easier than what you have posted - the control of the mirrors will be more user-friendly using joysticks.

Last edited:

knowoneishome

Sep 30, 2010
thanks for the response. I went to a junkyard some time before you responded and pulled the part for $15. The sketch is accurate. Each direction has it's own control as well as each mirror. That's why I thought that a switch would work in between the buttons but I never figured it out. Oh well, it cost me more time and money than it did to go down and pull the part. Thanks again!