Connect with us

VCVS gain control... help needed

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by zealer, Dec 25, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. zealer

zealer

Dec 25, 2011
    Hello everyone.

I am trying to find out why I cannot use the neg feedback voltage divider on the famous VCVS topology (Ra and Rb from the fig below) to simply control the gain of a bandpass filter?
    [​IMG]

Using LTSpice, any attempt to change the gain using the above method fails. Results do not meet expectations at all and frequency response gets worse. According to a lot of info sources,
    Code:
    "[I]A definite advantage is the ability to precisely set the gain of the filter with resistors Ra and Rb, without upsetting the center frequency.[/I]"
    Now what am I missing here? Using the BP filter below, that has a center freq 4.5 kHz, I can control pretty much nothing with Ra and Rb... it just gets worse.
    [​IMG]

If I set Ra = Rb, I get a unity gain at the filter output. What must I do to get 2x gain? Standard non-inverting op amp negative feedback formulas don't work :/

Thank you in advance,
    Simeon

Ask a Question