Connect with us

VCR terminology

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by N Cook, Nov 9, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    Not just VCR presumably but this mechanism is in a VCR.
    A plastic latch mechanism on the end of some slide bars that is delatched
    when a motor is spun up with a small "star" cog on the shaft, latch engages
    region of "star" when not spinning.
    While at it I ask every now and then if anyone knows of
    a UK/USA tool terminology translation file
    Allen key / hex key
    spanner / wrench
    mole grips / lock jaw pliers etc
  2. I think each manufacturer has a different name for the same parts sometimes.
    Some manufacturers might call a certain part a gear while others will
    call it an idler. Some will call a part a brake while another might
    call it a felt pad...etc.
  3. mole grips / lock jaw pliers etc / Vice Grips ?
  4. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    What are Stilsons or Gilbows or other trade name tools called in USA. ?
    Other than sexually explicit nicknames are Hellerman pliers called the same
    in USA ?
  5. sofie

    sofie Guest


    Gilbows = tinsnips
    Stilsons = pipewrench
  6. wow. I would have never guessed either of those.. Those european names dont
    give themselves away.
  7. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    Gilbows tinsnips Stilsons pipewrench
    Putting such sets of words in a search engine never turns up a "translation"
    But always putting such themed words as
    bumper fender hood bonnet pavement sidewalk
    turns up dozens like
  8. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    As its the second or third time I've asked here and search engine checked
    and found nothing, i think i'll start such a file.
    Does anyone else have any USA/UK paired tool names including
    elecrixcal/electronic test gear terms ?
    eg I've no idea if the term as using "an Avo" means anything across the pond
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day