Connect with us

VCR remote stopped only ONE function...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Adela, Oct 11, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Adela

Adela

Aug 30, 2013
    Hello, if anyone experienced this please help?:

I have a Panasonic DVD/VCR Combo PV-D4745. Its remote, is working well on everything, but suddenly stopped on ONLY one function: it won't work on bringing out the page where one schedules the TIME for time recording.

It's odd that this is the only function it stopped doing.

Thanks so much for any any ideas! :)

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Have you tried turning it off, AND UNPLUGGING it from the wall?
    Try that first. Sometimes that resets the controlling circuitry.
    If it doesn't work, let us know.

3. Adela

Adela

Aug 30, 2013
    Thank you shrtrnd, I did and it didn't help. I forgot to say that I also put in new batteries even though the batteries in it were quite fresh.

I also noticed (which I didn't notice before) that actually 3 buttons, not only one, stopped working, these are: "Program" which opens the page for indicating timing for time recording. "Action" a setup for date, time, language, etc. and "Power". However power works on the set.

The buttons that are working are: "Play", "Stop, "Rewind", "Fast Forward', "Pause", and a few more. Very strange!!!

Thanks again. Adela

4. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    That pretty-much pegs the problem for me.
    The button or buttons on your remote are worn or dirty. It used to happen to me
    a lot when the kids were always using the remote with sticky-fingers from snacks.
    Household dust/dirt combined with oils from you hands can cause this too.
    I used to dissassemble the remote, and use a Q-tip and 90% Isopropyl Alcohol from
    the drug store (common ('rubbing alcohol'), to clean the carbon pads and switch
    electrical 'trace' on the membrane pad that the carbon buttons contact when you
    push the keypad buttons.
    If you're worried about trying to do all that yourself, you can buy one of the 'universal'
    remote controls they sell at places like radio shack or Wal Mart, or a lot of other
    stores. The universal remotes have a long list of TV or DVD make and models on a paper that
    comes with the remote. You find your TV or DVD model on the list, enter the code in the
    remote for your model, per the directions to program the remote, and you should be
    all set. The remotes vary in price from cheap ones that work just fine, to 'gold-plated'
    versions that are capable of programming all of your digital devices and taking out the
    trash at the same time. A $20 or less version will do you just fine if you want to go
    that route. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  5. Adela

Adela

Aug 30, 2013
    Thank you again but I had forgotten of pressing the button that says "VCR/TV" and this did it! However, I'll keep in mind the good info you give me in case there IS something wrong with the remote, without having to open it. Thank so much! :) Adela

6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Thanks, now I feel dumb as a box of rocks (joking).
    Yes, it sounds like checking the obvious things first, probably helps.

7. Adela

Adela

Aug 30, 2013
    No, you shouldn't feel dumb at all since it happens to the best! Besides, I appreciated very much your good advice in case the remote doesn't respond... :) Adela

8. tazzker

tazzker

Oct 16, 2013
    i can tell you from my experience that if you can just take out the dialPad of the remote, and try to clean the rubber ot plastic! it might be bloked contact to the board

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  9. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Yeah, a lot of the newer remotes aren't made to be easily fixed.
    I've seen some where they melt plastic pegs in place, instead of using screws to
    hold the keypad in place. Some of them would be pretty hard to access for a simple
    cleaning. My advice was for something that has screws, and looks like it can be
    accessed for cleaning or repair.

10. Adela

Adela

Aug 30, 2013
    Hi tazzker and shrtrnd, since it's working now, you know what they say...if it ain' broke don't fix it. lol! Thank you for the info though. :) Adela

11. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I totally agree. Me and tazzker was just talking.
    Glad you got your system working.

Ask a Question