Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Varying inductance

Andrea1089

Sep 13, 2017
Hi everybody,
I'm trying to modelize the behaviour of a ferrite with LTspice (see attachment).
The problem is that, basing on the datasheet, its impedance is frequency-dependent (see the maximum curve in the image attached).
So far, I think a good idea is to consider that it has just an inductive behaviour. In particular, I'd like to take into account the variation in its gradient at around 700 kHz (as if the inductance switches from 7 uH to 1.3 uH).
How can I do that in LTspice?

Actually, after testing the ferrite performance with LTspice, I'll have to import its model in Simetrix, so I fear a frequency-varying inductor is not a good solution.

Thank you,
Andrea

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 75

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
SPICE is a time based simulator, it cannot, to the best of my knowledge, model frequency dependend behaviour.
You can model the impedance by using parasitic R and C elements or even a two-stage model as described here.

OBW0549

Jul 5, 2016
SPICE is a time based simulator, it cannot, to the best of my knowledge, model frequency dependend behaviour.
SPICE does both time-domain simulation (the .TRAN analysis) and frequency-domain simulation (the .AC analysis).

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Right, I forgot about that - I rarely use it. For the .AC analysis the circuit is linearized around the operating point and only small signals are used to stimulate the circuit within the limits of the linear approximation.
However, as far as I know there is no way of defining a frequency dependent component in terms of a function of frequency. The simulation is done in terms of currents and voltages as a function of time.

Andrea1089

Sep 13, 2017
Fyi. I found the Glaplace function in LTspice. It performes what I'm looking for which, in this case, is a variation in the inductance of my ferrite. C and R should be neglected, actually.
The problem now is how to transfer all this in Simetrix/Simplis. I''m gonna have a look at its functions.

Attachments

• image2.png
    image2.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 66