Connect with us


Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by viki2000, Jun 18, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. viki2000


    Jun 18, 2013
    Varistor, Voltage Dependent Resistor (VDR), Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV)…
    I need one and I have difficulties to find it, to know if what I need/want really exists in reality by various manufacturers…
    Basically I need one resistor which is 56K at 100V and is 112K at 200V.
    The main problem that I have is: based on resistor value at certain voltages to identify that varistor (if exists) in the data sheets of the manufacturers.
    In the data sheets or catalogs or web pages of varistor are all kind of parameters, but I cannot search varistor based on their basic definition: value of the resistor ta given voltages, a curve.

    How do you find/identify the varistor based on resistance/voltage variation curve at manufacturers?
    If you know one manufacturer, could you provide some examples?
  2. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    Jan 21, 2010
    I doubt you can get a varistor like that. For a start, their resistance will fall with voltage.

    However, what you describe sounds like a 1.8mA constant current source, which is not that difficult to create.
  3. Harald Kapp

    Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

    Nov 17, 2011
    A varistor normally works the other way: high resistance at low voltage, low resistance at high voltage.
    Your requirement sounds like what you really need is a constant current source: I=100V/56kOhm=200V/112kOhm=1.78mA
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day